Left Pedal won't tighten

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

briank

...I should replace the right crank just to be safe? or if its been checked, does that rule out any damage?

I'd say if you've managed to get the pedal tightened up properly, then you've got away with it. (lucky sod!)

BTW double-sided doesn't mean either side of the bike - it means that the top and bottom of the pedal is the same. That's what you've got.

OP
OP
John-XTC

John-XTC

briank said:
...I should replace the right crank just to be safe? or if its been checked, does that rule out any damage?

I'd say if you've managed to get the pedal tightened up properly, then you've got away with it. (lucky sod!)

BTW double-sided doesn't mean either side of the bike - it means that the top and bottom of the pedal is the same. That's what you've got.

Ok gotcha - yes double sided pedals is what I have, wellgo pedals, similar to the bmx style, as they give lots of grip (sure you enjoyed reading that!).....Lets hope I did get away with it :ohmy:!

Keith Oates

Janner
If you have managed to get the right side pedal into the left side crank, or vice versa, then the chances are the threads are 'goosed' and when doing some tough pedalling they will fail!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OP
OP
John-XTC

John-XTC

Keith Oates said:
If you have managed to get the right side pedal into the left side crank, or vice versa, then the chances are the threads are 'goosed' and when doing some tough pedalling they will fail!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well I cycle 5 miles uphill everyday (its pretty tough on the bike) and having the left pedal in the right crank hasn't failed, so maybe I am lucky?

When i removed the left pedal from the right crank, and tightened the right pedal in the right crank, it fitted perfectly so surely this suggests no damage has been done?

All I can do is hope i got away with it

I don't get this at all. It's close to impossible to screw a pedal into the wrong crank. If you did manage it and were then able to remove the pedal it's an absolute 100 percent certainty that the original thread in your crank is ruined.

OP
OP
John-XTC

John-XTC

Ok I understand why you say its ruined, but I have been cycling for 3 weeks with the pedals in the wrong cranks, 10 miles a day, and up steep hills, the left crank didn't break until the 3rd week, and no damage has been done to the right crank (from what I & the LBS can see).......I guess I am now tempting fate but So far, so good !

Top Bottom