Left Ultegra R8000 lever dead?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Milzy

Guru
I think sweat has got into my left shifter. It’s stiff and only shifts half the time. I’ve sprayed it up with GT which seems to have helped a tiny bit. Can it be serviced or will I need a new lever?

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
I'd try a new cable first.

Reactions: C R

13 rider

Guru
I think sweat has got into my left shifter. It’s stiff and only shifts half the time. I’ve sprayed it up with GT which seems to have helped a tiny bit. Can it be serviced or will I need a new lever?
I was advised by my Lbs not to attempt any serving of the actual shifter there's lots of small springs etc that if come off are a nightmare to resite

OP
OP
Milzy

Milzy

Guru
I’ve read that the sequence of install on r8000 has to be spot on or you can easily get the wrong tension. I won’t attempt opening it up. If I can’t sort I’ll see LBS.

Big John

Guru
And they won't open it up either. They'll put a new cable in. Anyone who opens up an STI shifter is a very brave (stupid?) man. I had an old set of shifters someone gave to me and thought I'd have a go at taking one apart. Needless to say it was a none starter despite using YouTube and various other sources of internet guidance. Spray to death with GT85 and install a new inner cable and even an outer cable if you think it might help 👍

Top Bottom