Left v brake pad doesnt stop sqealing

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Biker2772

I have a swytch front hub wheel. The left side of my brake pads squeal a lot despite trying everything and cleaning the rim and brake pad. Oddly enough, the right side of the rim is dirty as well as the brake pad, but doesnt squeal?

Does this mean the left side rim is damaged? I took good care of the rim? Would baby powder fix this as someone said that works. Please help.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220126-194923_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20220126-194923_Chrome.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 7

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Try lightly sanding it (the pad). How do you know it's just one ?

OP
OP
B

Biker2772

Try lightly sanding it (the pad). How do you know it's just one ?

I disengaged the brakes and i put pressure on the left side brake pad to the rim and it squeals but when i do it to the right one, its fine. Ive used a filer but no luck. What sanding paper grit do i need?

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I disengaged the brakes and i put pressure on the left side brake pad to the rim and it squeals but when i do it to the right one, its fine. Ive used a filer but no luck. What sanding paper grit do i need?

I'm not convinced that will be the issue. Might be worth removing the v-brake arm and greasing the pivot, then assembling again - worth a shot.

Any sand paper will do just to ensure the pad isn't glaized. It's one of those things with some pads, they squeel. As I said in another thread, my commuter MTB didn't squeel with new pads, but they have started to do it (canti brakes). Not too fussed as I'm commuting on the canal, so braking for blind bends etc is an additional vocal assistance as well as a bell - squeeky brakes means even the old duffers can hear - most can't detect the bell due to dodgy ears.

Top Bottom