Left ventricular concentric remodeling.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Had a heart murmur for a good few years. Every echo scan has revealed no changes.

However in a recent asthma check - my blood pressure was elevated. A 24 hour monitoring of my blood pressure revealed stage I hypertension.

A letter to my GP and myself (from cardiology dept) recommended I start a low dose of Ramipril - which I have started (and BP has come down to normal levels)

However the letter also said I had remodelling of the left ventricular.

Other than the meds GP didn't mention this neither have the echo scan follow ups.....they have also said it's fine and encouraged me to continue cycling.

However ventricle remodelling seems a big deal to me .. . I'm getting in touch with cardiology dept ...and GP.......

But does anyone have any info or experience in this area .....and why would the hospital and GP be dismissive of it ?

Slick

Guru
Obviously I know nothing, but I was told a while back now that I had an enlarged right ventricle, which I felt was a big deal but nobody else did. They eventually explained that they thought it was due to over training, and I didn't set them right, but I knew it was pure graft as I'd never trained in my life. I know there is a difference between both cases, but there is an argument for knowing too much, when all we really should be doing is enjoying our life.

OP
OP
kingrollo

kingrollo

Guru
Obviously I know nothing, but I was told a while back now that I had an enlarged right ventricle, which I felt was a big deal but nobody else did. They eventually explained that they thought it was due to over training, and I didn't set them right, but I knew it was pure graft as I'd never trained in my life. I know there is a difference between both cases, but there is an argument for knowing too much, when all we really should be doing is enjoying our life.

Yeah - I know what you mean.

I remember having an MRI on my spine and the consultant explained that at 50+ your spine probably won't be perfect - but the difficulty is working out which defects are significant....

Slick

Guru
Yeah - I know what you mean.

I remember having an MRI on my spine and the consultant explained that at 50+ your spine probably won't be perfect - but the difficulty is working out which defects are significant....

Yeah, that's the one.

I've had chest pains for a number of years, even now my chest is sore, but despite that phrase being enough to send the nurses into a frenzy when you walk into A&E complaining of them, but it also turns out you can damage the structure of your chest much the same as your back after years of heavy lifting.

Now I just try and ignore it.

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
I have moderate LVH. The cardiologist thinks it is athletic adaption. I am supposed to be on annual check ups but due to NHS backlogs I haven't been seen for over two years. It doesn't seem to be having a negative affect on my cycling.
I will go to the check ups when called but in the meantime I try to be relatively healthy good diet lots of cycling and walking and live for the day.

OP
OP
kingrollo

kingrollo

Guru
I have moderate LVH. The cardiologist thinks it is athletic adaption. I am supposed to be on annual check ups but due to NHS backlogs I haven't been seen for over two years. It doesn't seem to be having a negative affect on my cycling.
I will go to the check ups when called but in the meantime I try to be relatively healthy good diet lots of cycling and walking and live for the day.

Yeah that's my plan. Although there is some research linking endurance athletes with heart issues - like irregular heart beats.

I know a triathlete who trained a competed through a minor cold and ended up on drugs for irregular heart beat (permanently)

OP
OP
kingrollo

kingrollo

Guru

Yeah....at the back of my mind.....

I suffered terribly with asthma as a kid in the 1970s - (I was one of the first people to have an inhaler) Thankfully I grew out of it in my teens - but my lungs are f d ! I only blow 350 on peak flow.

My theory is my heart is doing more work because of my crap lungs.

Top Bottom