leg length

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

spennie

Veteran
Is there a solution or a guide that will help me get the correct leg length on my trike, or is it just trial and error.

squeaker

Über Member
IME similar to on an upwrong: wear cycling shoes, sit back in the seat and put one heel on pedal and adjust boom for a straight leg (no movement of pelvis to achieve straight leg): sorted ;)
HTH

Is there a solution or a guide that will help me get the correct leg length on my trike, or is it just trial and error.

+1

There are lots of methods such as measuring the X seam etc.

However the quick and convenient way is to sit on the trike, and place your heel on the pedal when the leg is straight, the boom is roughly right.

Loose mesh seats and you should shorten it by half an inch.

There may be a small tweak, but you should certainly be in the right area.

I found that on the mesh seat it was harder to get the lenght exactly right due to the fact I tended to slide down the seat a little after a few miles.
So if I started with it just right when I got on, then it ended up short when in motion and I had to keep pushing myself back up the seat.
Or if it ended up just right, then it was to long to start with when trying to clip in.

Now I've got a hard shell seat I'm locked much more in one position, so its easier to get the lenght just right.

byegad

Legendary Member
I found similar to DF didn't quite work for a bent.

With heel on pedal at furthest away point your knee should be able to lock and unlock without changing the pressure on the pedal, THEN, for me move the boom in a cm or so. I've tried the heel method on all my bents and while initially it felt right moving the boom in that cm made things feel perfect.

markg0vbr

Über Member
you might find it better to have the cleat as far back on your foot as possible as well rather than on the ball of your foot.
helps prevent heal strike and helps roll your foot forward a smidgen at the top of the stroke for smoother power delivery, this all depends on how high above or below your hip your crank is, how smooth and fast your spinning is.

any of the above methods work for me to get a start point then experiment a bit, as a lot of seats can be changed for angle as well which can make a bigger difference to the feel of the bike than leg length.

markg0vbr

Über Member
you might find it better to have the cleat as far back on your foot as possible as well rather than on the ball of your foot.
helps prevent heal strike and helps roll your foot forward a smidgen at the top of the stroke for smoother power delivery, this all depends on how high above or below your hip your crank is, how smooth and fast your spinning is.

any of the above methods work for me to get a start point then experiment a bit, as a lot of seats can be changed for angle as well which can make a bigger difference to the feel of the bike than leg length.

byegad

Legendary Member
Good point Mark cleat full back has turned out to be excellent for me, I was given the tip and tried it expecting nothing from it but it worked.

sunnyjim

Good point Mark cleat full back has turned out to be excellent for me, I was given the tip and tried it expecting nothing from it but it worked.

Yes yes.

With a bit of fettling & aluminium plate my cleats are nearly at the instep. Limit to backwardness is when there's a tendency for the ankle to topple over at the top of the stroke.

IME heelwards cleats make it easier to shove back to counter-act the gradual slide down the (mesh) seat problem, or lift the bum when putting on pressure / trying to avoid an unwanted enema when going through deep puddles.

However, this probably makes the leg length adjustment even more critical.

byegad

Legendary Member
I don't have any tendencies to slide down my mesh seats. I suspect if you have the mesh tensioned really tight you may have an issue. I run mine with some give in them. I also use an ICE seat pad in all three seats which makes a marked improvement in seat comfort.

Top Bottom