Leg power

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GavinDavies7

as I am fairly new to cycling I am still riding in trainers at the moment to get used to everything and noticed that when going up a hill I am tending to push harder on the pedal from my left leg (as I am left footed ) so when I come off the bike my left legs feels as it done 20 miles more than my right if I change to proper pedals shoes etc would that help with my riding style or wouldn't it make a difference . Thanks

S-Express

Unlikely to make a difference. The more you ride, the more you will develop a more balanced technique - although it's also fair to say that practically everyone naturally favours one leg or the other, so you are not unusual in that respect.

DRM

Guru
Unlikely to make a difference. The more you ride, the more you will develop a more balanced technique - although it's also fair to say that practically everyone naturally favours one leg or the other, so you are not unusual in that respect.
+1 for this, as you ride more, try to make a conscious effort to balance the effort, nobody will ever be 50/50 on each leg, but with time in the saddle you should improve this, till it becomes second nature.

S-Express

I am 47% on the left leg and 53% on the right leg according to the watt bike. :okay:

Worth pointing out at this stage that Wattbike's power balance figures are based on forces measured at the BB - not the pedals or crank arms - so are basically just estimates. Not that it really matters anyway, as the overall objective in cycling terms is to produce power, as opposed to achieving pedalling symmetry.

Shortandcrisp

Über Member
I doubt, in real terms, there's too much difference between both legs. Probably feels so because you're new to cycling. Give it a few weeks/months and I'm sure you'll not notice it.

ayceejay

Guru
If you were clipped in you could do one legged drills but I doubt this is necessary at this stage. Make sure you learn how to select the right gear for hills

cubey

Über Member
Both my legs are equally weak................:angry:

Top Bottom