Legal position

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

RyanW

The abominable Bikeman
AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
HHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
HHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Right, now thats out the way, what is my right in terms of cutting the w*&$%£s chain who decided it would be a flippin bring idea to stick his chain round my frame to.

Im currently hunting some bolt cutters but dont wanna get burnt by the rozzers.

You have no idea how much i want to get home

You have a right to free your vehicle from illegal detention by an unknown third party.

Debian

You have a right to free your property from restraint by the means that does the minimum damage to the third party's property. In other words get some bolt cutters!

e-rider

crappy member
I've heard this story so many times; even happened to me once - luckily I was in no hurry and when I returned an hour or so later the bike had gone.

I locked my bike up at the train station and only just realised before walking off that I had accidentally locked the wheel of the next bike to mine.

Sometimes it is easily done especially - in my case - when in the middle of a cramped and full line of stands

Was a close one, but the bike was still there upon my return so wouldn't have been a big deal in the circumstances

Would it be possible to leave a note and drop the bike at a nearby police station if you do cut the chain? Would be a bummer if the only winner in this would be the next theiving toerag

I have heard of this tactic being used by thieves...lock their bike to yours and watch.
You find your bike locked and leave to find a way to free the bike, at which point they know you won't be back likely for x amount of time, giving them a chance to get your lock off. If asked what they are doing, they claim they are freeing their bike.

Obviously it may just be a mistake...

OP
OP
RyanW

RyanW

The abominable Bikeman
Yeah i assume its just an opps on his part (or her) But still, im stuck 6 miles from home with no means of transport. I mean, he stuck the chain round my top bar and his. No one, in the area seems to have something to release me. Security, service people no one, Kingston uni really does take the piddle some times.

Sh4rkyBloke

Jaffa Cake monster
RyanW said:
Yeah i assume its just an opps on his part (or her) But still, im stuck 6 miles from home with no means of transport. I mean, he stuck the chain round my top bar and his. No one, in the area seems to have something to release me. Security, service people no one, Kingston uni really does take the piddle some times.
IT bods might be a good bet - they usually have bolt croppers lying around to free computers that have been chained for years and no-one knows where the keys are any more... well, at least that's the reason we have them where I work (at a Uni). :tongue::biggrin:

RyanW said:
im stuck 6 miles from home with no means of transport.

You're in SW London - loads of public transport - or, god forbid, a six mile walk won't kill you

or go to the engineering department and set the undergraduates a challenge...:sad:

OP
OP
RyanW

RyanW

The abominable Bikeman
TwickenhamCyclist said:
You're in SW London - loads of public transport - or, god forbid, a six mile walk won't kill you

or go to the engineering department and set the undergraduates a challenge...:sad:

I tried that, they have all left, i walked in the end, with my wheels :thumbsup: will go back later (with the spare bike) and hope all is good. probs put a proper lock on it,

The walk was quite nice, but there is a reason i cycle and dont run, i have a bad knee and it has already started hurting :smile:

Top Bottom