Legitimate holdsworth?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

josepih

Hi, I am in the process of buying this bike and was wondering if anyone could tell me whether the bike is legitimate and give me any other info on the bike? I can't make out the model but all I know is that it is a 'loft find', which always makes me wonder whether its legit.

Thanks
J

Last edited:

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Hard to say without more photos, does it have a serial number under the bottom bracket?
On the surface it looks genuine, early to mid 80s I'd suggest when there was a vogue for 25" frames...I hope you're tall....

Good afternoon

Looks like a Holdsworth Mistral to me, Mistral was a long running name so there are lots of versions.

Note the rack mount on the seat stays a bit up from the rear brakes and the clearance between the rear wheel and the down tube match a touring geometry with mudguards.

Bye

Ian

OP
OP
J

josepih

Made for a tall tourer, thats me!

Thanks a lot for the responses, I'll post a few nicer pictures including the serial number once I've got it.

All the best
J

Fab Foodie

Made for a tall tourer, thats me!

Thanks a lot for the responses, I'll post a few nicer pictures including the serial number once I've got it.

All the best
J
Looks the real deal and in very good condition. Should also be comfortable :-)

Drago

Legendary Member
Looks early 80's Holdsworth to me, only tiny detail differences betwixt that and Clauds of the same era, which all plopped off the same work bench. Aside from the extra gear thats spec 'd almost identically to a Claud Butler Sierra, but without the guards and rack. Seat post and possibly the seat too aren't original, and I think the brake levers may be from a later bike, but that aside it looks unmessed with.

Don't get too hung up on the Holdsworth name, from that era they're not worth as much as misty eyed old duffers would have you think, but they've lovely bikes to ride. Not super light, but all day comfortable, smooth and responsive. If you want a Holdsworth for the collectors value you need a pre early 70's bike, but if you want to actually ride it the later machines like this are nicer bikes.

That's a nice looking machine, and in my size too! If hes not asking daft money I'd have that in a heartbeat if I were you.

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

josepih

Looks early 80's Holdsworth to me, only tiny detail differences betwixt that and Clauds of the same era, which all plopped off the same work bench. Aside from the extra gear thats spec 'd almost identically to a Claud Butler Sierra, but without the guards and rack. Seat post and possibly the seat too aren't original, and I think the brake levers may be from a later bike, but that aside it looks unmessed with.

Don't get too hung up on the Holdsworth name, from that era they're not worth as much as misty eyed old duffers would have you think, but they've lovely bikes to ride. Not super light, but all day comfortable, smooth and responsive. If you want a Holdsworth for the collectors value you need a pre early 70's bike, but if you want to actually ride it the later machines like this are nicer bikes.

That's a nice looking machine, and in my size too! If hes not asking daft money I'd have that in a heartbeat if I were you.
Thanks for the info! Very interesting. Going to grab it in the next day or two, exciting stuff.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
I'm not even sure that's a 25" frame, TBH. Given its not a short wheelbase racer, that means the head tube tends to be less tall. I would not be surprised to find that frame actually measures 26" and was a special order. Even by field gate standards, that is exceptionally large.

Fab Foodie

I'm not even sure that's a 25" frame, TBH. Given its not a short wheelbase racer, that means the head tube tends to be less tall. I would not be surprised to find that frame actually measures 26" and was a special order. Even by field gate standards, that is exceptionally large.
I’ think you may be right, I had the same thought (that it might be a 26 custom Job), but erred on the side of a more common 25 considering the period. Be even more flexy!

Top Bottom