Legitimate holdsworth?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
The bike was probably parked leaning against a wall in a sun-facing conservatory or in a shed or garage against a wall with a window opposite. The only way to even it out now is to do the opposite and park the faded side facing a wall and let the sun get to the good side!

carpenter

Über Member
We had a VW Vento in red that did that - I used to "T Cut" and colour wax the doors quite regularly, until I realised that they would be pink again in a couple of months:sad:

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
We had a VW Vento in red that did that - I used to "T Cut" and colour wax the doors quite regularly, until I realised that they would be pink again in a couple of months:sad:
Same here, I had Hillman Avenger that was only a nice red colour every couple of months when I polished it with colour restorer polish. It fell to bits in the end.
I have also noticed that clothing that is predominantly red also has the same problem with fading quickly.

Drago

Legendary Member
The colour stabilisers were very expensive, so many mainstream manufacturers never bothered putting them into the paint due to the cost. The Vauxhalls, Nissans and VW's, all the everyday brands, etc, would fade, but the Jags, BMW's and Bentley's generally did not. Modern acryillic-urethane car paint compounds don't suffer in the same way,

I would imagine the price made it completely prohibitive for bicycle paint back in the day. As the team above have rightly pointed out, it probably then spent a period stored in a shed or building where the sun caught it daily, and nature took its course. On the plus side of the ledger, thats a good excuse to get it powder coated.

Big John

Guru
Planet X have a load of Holdsworth clothing. If you haven't already got some it would only be right and proper to look the part when you go out on that steed. A beauty and just my size too 👍

Top Bottom