Legnano help please

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
here are some more pics @Gary steel sent me , it looks a great bike
leg1.jpg
leg2.jpg

OP
OP
G

Gary steel

Many thanks for you replies, I am sure the forks are O.K with the small horizontal cut out on the chrome fork crown. Also the lug work seems to point to a Legnano, But still no frame no, Looks like the paint stripper is coming out unless anybody can identify.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Many thanks for you replies, I am sure the forks are O.K with the small horizontal cut out on the chrome fork crown. Also the lug work seems to point to a Legnano, But still no frame no, Looks like the paint stripper is coming out unless anybody can identify.

Do you doubt it is a Legnano?

Sterba

Über Member
It has obviously been resprayed sometime between 1968 and now. Perhaps the original chrome on the front forks was good enough to be left alone (although Italian chrome in those days was diabolical). Or the forks are mix and match, fitted when it was resprayed. Often, a frame with chrome at one end would have it at the other as well. Keep the info coming.

OP
OP
G

Gary steel

Do you doubt it is a Legnano?
Maybe I will try to find a serial number, If it is a fake someone has gone to a lot of trouble, Some good kit on the bike, Legnano stamped cottered cranks, 3TTT bars and stem, Legnano branded hubs and Ambrosio rims with Tubs. Also a branded Legnano pump. Universal sport brake set. Legnano did make good frames with the Roma being there top model. I need to check the dropouts, If it is just campy at the rear it may be a Gran premio, Also the brake cable runs in the eyelets under the top tube which was typical of that period. The bike weighs in at 11.5 kg which would be acceptable for Falck tubing.

OP
OP
G

Gary steel

It has obviously been resprayed sometime between 1968 and now. Perhaps the original chrome on the front forks was good enough to be left alone (although Italian chrome in those days was diabolical). Or the forks are mix and match, fitted when it was resprayed. Often, a frame with chrome at one end would have it at the other as well. Keep the info coming.
May I ask where you got 1968 from ?

Sterba

Über Member
Surmising from the date you mentioned for the Campag gear. It would seem about right, but I am not an expert on this make of bike. I have a lovely Olmo, and it has a full chrome fork, so you may be right about chrome under the paint on yours

Tony Smith

Irrespective of its origins, that's a very nice looking machine. I'm no Legnano expert but the lugwork and seat stays seem a tad off, although the forks look right. But there you go.., if a doubt hadn't been cast we wouldn't be querying it as everything could be right.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
I can't see the rear derailleur very well but you it could help date the bike. Have a look at this site, it's quite interesting anyway.
http://www.disraeligears.co.uk/Site/Home.html

OP
OP
G

Gary steel

I can't see the rear derailleur very well but you it could help date the bike. Have a look at this site, it's quite interesting anyway.
http://www.disraeligears.co.uk/Site/Home.html

http://item.mobileweb.ebay.com/viewitem?itemId=321185312338 I found this old Ebay add and it looks like a Touring Legnano, It has the same chainstay bridge and seatstay bridge for the old fashioned dynamo. Rear mech is a 1968 Campy extra valentino stamped 13 36 which is a 1968 only. However why the Falck tubing on a tourer, This was good tubing and used a lot more on Italian bikes than people think. I can find three different stickers for Falck, Were there different tubes like Reynolds, Any Falck experts out there ?

Top Bottom