Lego brilliance

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BlueDog

Veteran
summerdays said:
Wish there was a club like that at my son's school. He loves lego and electronics. In fact this week in science they have been doing electronics and its the first time he's been really keen to go to school. He also took in his electronics kit to show them.

My son's a complete Lego addict - we went here last year which isn't too far from you. It's on 2/3 October, so there's plenty of time for him to save his pocket money!

Well worth a visit, and it has a really good shopping centre next door too :biggrin:

vernon said:
Not seen a dot matrix printer for several years now.

Still got 3 of them in daily use at work. Used for machinery alarm print outs on continuous fan-fold paper to give a chronological history . A4 just doesn't work for the way they are used.

Fattman

vernon said:
A friend of mine had so much time on his hands that he wrote software that would get dot matrix printers to play tunes as they printed some sort of gibberish.

Not seen a dot matrix printer for several years now.

Ye'll not have heard one for a while either...

http://www.theuser.org/dotmatrix/downloads/en/frame_index.html

Been trying to track down the album for a few years now... weirdly compelling music!

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
Dot matrix printers are still out there.
Probably the only impact printer that's still available. They're the only ones that'll print on multilayer forms - like payslips, NCR paper and the like.

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
summerdays said:
Wish there was a club like that at my son's school. He loves lego and electronics. In fact this week in science they have been doing electronics and its the first time he's been really keen to go to school. He also took in his electronics kit to show them.

Yes they are certainly lucky at the school. The chap who runs the young engineers club is a retired electronics engineer who does it as a volunteer free of charge. They do it 3 nights a week after school so it is quite a commitment for all but the rewards for the kids are great. This is the 2nd time in the last 3 years that they have been UK champions and qualified for the world finals. Not bad for a little rural primary school which is so small that years 4, 5 and 6 are split into 2 classes.

Without doubt the school are very lucky to have such a great volunteer mentor.

Krypton

Used to have margarine tubs full of lego as a kid. Most of it went up the hoover over the years, but it can do some cool stuff now!!

Cracking vids and I loved the bot that laid the bridge ... that was a wicked trick ... :biggrin:

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
Krypton said:
Used to have margarine tubs full of lego as a kid. Most of it went up the hoover over the years, but it can do some cool stuff now!!

Cracking vids and I loved the bot that laid the bridge ... that was a wicked trick ... :biggrin:

I kept all my lego and good to see that my kids play with it now 34 years later

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
BlueDog said:
My son's a complete Lego addict - we went here last year which isn't too far from you. It's on 2/3 October, so there's plenty of time for him to save his pocket money!

Well worth a visit, and it has a really good shopping centre next door too :biggrin:

I'll bear that one in mind ... looks interesting and I think he would enjoy the museum that we haven't been too as well.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Krypton said:

Marg tubs...!!! my mum kept ours too and its been split between my siblings and my self... now the lego in our house lives in 7 boxes. Basically although he likes other toys ... he plays with them a couple of times and then not really again ... lego he is the only toy that keeps on going ... so he gets lego for every birthday, and Christmas and from his grandparents so the collection is getting quite large.

buddha

Veteran
I'm surprised at the accuracy of the print out in that vid. It must have been difficult getting it right.

I've used technical lego for robotics mock-ups (as it's a lot cheaper/quicker than building things from scratch). And relatively easy to program.

Top Bottom