Leisure Cyclists' Survey

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

snorri

Legendary Member
An automatic gearbox would be handy, but I would think weight, cost and reliability issues will prevent it becoming an everyday accessory for some considerable time^_^

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
Done. My favourite gear changing system is friction shifting - it seems to feel like it's you choosing the gear and getting it all perfectly smooth. Though that might be me being old-fashioned with a romantic notion of mechanical sympathy. Nowt wrong with STI gears, mind, just that I never seem to have managed to tweak them well enough without stopping. The reason I have doubts about auto changing is that when you need an immediate response, you need the bike to respond predictably. It could be dangerous in those moments when you need to put the power down and the auto gearing decides to shift you into a lower/slower gear.

compo

Veteran
A few years back one of the shopping channels was selling a bike with auto change derailleur gears. I can't fully recall how they worked, may have been a flywheel type thing on a worm? I do recall the bikes though.

winjim

Smash the cistern
It's deja vu all over again.

Slioch

Guru
Done.
Automatic gears just wouldn't work for so many reasons.
E.g. if you were out of the saddle and honking up a hill and an automatic gear change happened you'd end up embedding your teeth in your handlebar. Have they thought of that eh eh eh?
But I suppose you could get around it though by inventing some sort of "override" button which you would press to switch off the automatic functionality, thus making it more usuable to a wider range of cyclists.

I'll shut up now. You can tell it's a slow night on the TV and the football is a bit rubbish.

winjim

Smash the cistern
Done.
Automatic gears just wouldn't work for so many reasons.
E.g. if you were out of the saddle and honking up a hill and an automatic gear change happened you'd end up embedding your teeth in your handlebar. Have they thought of that eh eh eh?
But I suppose you could get around it though by inventing some sort of "override" button which you would press to switch off the automatic functionality, thus making it more usuable to a wider range of cyclists.

I'll shut up now. You can tell it's a slow night on the TV and the football is a bit rubbish.

Maybe they could have some sort of "standing up" mode which locks the front mech to avoid a jarring chainring change, and only allows the rear mech to shift to a harder gear? That would be a good idea.

http://www.cyclechat.net/threads/survey-for-class-project.167923/#post-3347941

Slioch

Guru
No, no, if our forebears had thought like that we would still be pumping up our Tilley lamps to read Cyclechat. You must open your mind to the brave new world, the white hot heat of technology bla bla bla

^_^

I'm sorry, I don't follow? Are you saying there are people out there who no longer use Tilley lamps. How the devil do they avoid bumping into things after the sun goes down?

^_^ :B)

Top Bottom