Leisure riders

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
C

chillyuk

This is a fantastic site where I have learned a lot and been encouraged from time to time. Looking at the various sections though there isn't one for leisure riders. We have sections for commuting, racing, mountain biking, touring, Audaxes etc, but nothing for those of us who just enjoy going out for a pootle round the lanes for no other reason than we just enjoy cycling. Maybe we wouldn't have much to share and the section may become boring and repetitive, I don't know, but I think it worth a try.

Steve H

Large Member
Isn't this the 'Riding' bit of 'Beginners and Riding'?

OP
OP
C

chillyuk

It could well be as you say, but many leisure riders are not beginners so may possibly be reluctant to post in this section.

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
I ride for a leisure a lot probably more than i commute. I do the odd charity ride like the Manchester to Blackpool last weekend, not a club member and don't do many sportives so i guess i fall into your category. No firm views on a forum for this sort of riding though but judging by the number of cyclists i see where i am there are quite a few of us around.
:biggrin:

jimboalee

I was considering being a leisure rider tomorrow. I have a few hours spare.

But alas, I became an Audax rider after a hurried electronic entry form and plan sheet for a DIY 100.

guitarpete247

Just about surviving
My bikes are a little old for any of the sporty group activities:rolleyes: . I would probaly get a little ribbing about the age of my kit. Road bike is 28 years old with upgrades made over the years but nothing newer than 15 years old on it. Still got 27" wheels as 700c were new and not much of tyres when I bought them. Newest bit of kit is a Suntour Vx derailleur so all my riding is for leisure at my own pace.
I'm a supply teacher who can be called at 8:00 to go to work ASAP so could not commute even if I wanted to.I don't want to or need to keep up with anyone. I also don't want to hold anyone upB) . So I consider myself a leisure rider out and out

ForDGRedial

I love this idea, particularly because once I have my bike although I will be 'commuting'...it is only 1.6miles and I have no worries about times etc so I think I would fit into 'leisure' rider much more.

Amy x

AndyCarolan

Do you smell fudge?
Dont we all ride for leisure though? Its only the destination, purpose and route that differs isn't it?

Norm

Dont we all ride for leisure though? Its only the destination, purpose and route that differs isn't it?
Not if you look at the forums at the moment. As chilly said...
We have sections for commuting, racing, mountain biking, touring, Audaxes etc, but nothing for those of us who just enjoy going out for a pootle round the lanes for no other reason than we just enjoy cycling.
None of the sections (commuting, racing, touring etc) are for peeps who just want to ride. Most of my threads in that area I've stuck into Café, because there's nowhere else, but I think it would be good to have a "riding" section.

AndyCarolan

Do you smell fudge?
Not if you look at the forums at the moment. As chilly said...
We have sections for commuting, racing, mountain biking, touring, Audaxes etc, but nothing for those of us who just enjoy going out for a pootle round the lanes for no other reason than we just enjoy cycling.
None of the sections (commuting, racing, touring etc) are for peeps who just want to ride. Most of my threads in that area I've stuck into Café, because there's nowhere else, but I think it would be good to have a "riding" section.

Could always split "Beginners and Riding" up giving 2 sections "Beginners" and "Leisure Riding"? :biggrin:

HJ

Cycling in Scotland

I don't think that leisure riding should be lumped in with beginners, that is rather patronising. I know there are those who think of them selves as "serious" cyclist and look down on anyone who doesn't ride a road bike and doesn't take part in organised events, but the reality is that everyone who rides a bike is a cyclist.

This used to be known as "a friendly place for everyone with an interest in cycling", has that changed with the new software??