Leith Hill & Box Hill promoted to Cat 2 climbs...?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
They will be Cat 2 if you start in the Underground; its due to be extended to Surrey in 2099

asterix

Comrade Member
In all likelihood these categories can be tailored to suit the region and are therefore relative. For the Tour de Holland a typical stage would be about 25km, a cat 2 would be any climb that reached sea level and the K-o-M would be the fastest rider over the canal bridges.

Reactions: gaz

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
i thought the categories of climbs wasn't just measured by gradient, but also by the length of the overall climb

dodgy

i thought the categories of climbs wasn't just measured by gradient, but also by the length of the overall climb

And also when they are tackled in a stage. There's pretty much nothing scientific about stage categories.

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
If owt in the Surrey Hills is Cat 2 then the ayrshire alps are all HC
i know what you mean - i must cycle HC climbs everyday here in the welsh valleys

nickyboy

Norven Mankey

Correct. And this leads to much easier hills getting "harder" classifications. For example, around here Snake Pass (full) is Cat 2. It is 5.3km @ 6.2%. Winnats Pass is Cat 3. It is 1.9km @11.0%.

Snake Pass is easy enough. Winnats is just plain hard.

The Strava categorisations seem similar in style to Grand Tours. The key is not whether you can cycle up them, it is how hard are they climbed at race pace.

HF2300

Insanity Prawn Boy
I think there might also have been some confusion on the tele - I heard them referred to as Cat 2 but earlier (perhaps in a different programme) they were said to be Cat 4

Top Bottom