LEJOG 2013

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Graham 26

I'm looking to do the Land's End to John O Groats bike ride next year. I've found an organiser who does the trip for about £800 and I'm looking at 11th September 2013. He arranges the ride for up to 8 people, If anyone is interested I would be keen to hear from you. If you've already done the ride I would also be keen to hear from you for advise and support.
Thanks Graham

snorri

Legendary Member
It would help you get like minded people to sign up if you could state the number of days you want to allocate for your LEJOG.
Is it to be a record attempt on the shortest route, or a leisurely few weeks taking in some tourist spots along the way? (something in between , I suspect^_^ )
I hope this helps.:smile:

OP
OP
Graham 26

Graham 26

Hi, Thanks for your post and advise!
It's an organised trip over 10 days of cycling. The company I'm looking at is Great Bear Tours
www.great-bear-tours.co.uk/#/lands-end-to-john-ogroats/455085760
Travelling down to Lands End on 11th September,:bicycle:to start ride on 12th
I appreciate your advise and your quite right it would help to get like minded people to sign up. I will be doing it for a couple of charities and I'm looking to enjoy a reasonable pace, but not too fast, it would be good to be able to support and motivate each other through the ride, at the same time as enjoying the british countryside whilst raising valuable funds and awareness to the charities.

OP
OP
Graham 26

Graham 26

Hi DJ,
That sounds good to me. Let me know, I personally like the look of the way it's organised. Ok it's not as supported as some of the lejog rides, but still supported enough so that you're not feeling alone and there is someone there should you need them.
Graham

speccy1

Do you have to pay in full or do they take a deposit? £800 just before christmas is a bit of a blow!!

OP
OP
Graham 26

Graham 26

No problem, there are quite a few dates for next year, but for me September would be best...not too hot! Hopefully. He takes a deposit of £100, but if your serious it might be worth speaking to him or e mail him, the guy's make is Carl. I did look at quite
a few organised rides and it looks a fair price to me.

OP
OP
Graham 26

Graham 26

I don't know anyone who has done it with them. I get the feeling it's a one or two man band so may be tied up with events. I have had e mail contact but not tried to phone. I'll try to find out more and let you know...has anyone else had this problem?

Haffers

I've signed up for July trip - need to do it supported as knee went in October and still not back on bike until end of this month. Carl contacted me back quickly both times I mailed him as I saw from his trip dates he was on 3 peaks trips at the time.

Will certainly write up on the experience once it is completed though and opted for 14 day to smell the roses :-)

OP
OP
Graham 26

Graham 26

I've signed up for July trip - need to do it supported as knee went in October and still not back on bike until end of this month. Carl contacted me back quickly both times I mailed him as I saw from his trip dates he was on 3 peaks trips at the time.

Will certainly write up on the experience once it is completed though and opted for 14 day to smell the roses :-)
Good Luck! I have tried to find out people who have used Great Bear Tours before and have had one positive response, the main concern being the lack of details on the website and only a mobile number for contact.

OP
OP
Graham 26

Graham 26

£800 sounds about right, mine cost me roughly £550 back in 2005 and that was an 8 day ride staying in a mix of youth hostels and hotels. So if there is some decent accmodation thrown in then that does not sould like a bad deal.

However I would say that the 11th September is a bit late in the year imo. I'd much rather ride in June/July. not so much for the weather but more so becuase the days are much longer, having said that even at that time of the year I'd thought you'd be getting about 11-12 hours sunlight a day.

My advice would be to train to the point where you can comfortably ride 100-120 miles a day and then get up the next day and do the same. LEJOG is not so much to do with fitness as well, rather mental grit and determination at spending anytihng upto 10 hours a day on a bike for the 10 days.

Have a good un.
Thanks for the reply and advise. June/July would potentially be too hot for me (if we do get a summer), by September I'm hoping it will still be warm but not too hot for long days on the bike.

Top Bottom