LEJOG 2013

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hi,
I have only been back to cycling since May 2012 but would like to set myself a serious challenge for 2013. The problem is I can only get out on my bike at weekends due to work and family commitments, so am I aiming too high with this. I would want to do it supported and was thinking of going with the Great Bears Tours. I am just a bit worried that I would not be able to put in enough training time. At the moment I do about 40km in one ride, which takes about 2 hours over hilly terrain (not too steep, more undulating). Any advice and feedback would be most welcome.

Thanks in advance.

robgul

Legendary Member
... I think you'll get greater satisfaction out of planning it all yourself rather than an organised trip ... and for training : join Audax UK and ride some 100km events, there are lots each weekend - that gives you some challenges, varied routes etc ... and meeting other riders who ride relatively long distances.

AND of course the standard reply from me - go to my website at www.cycle-endtoend.org.uk for loads of resources and Journals with people's experiences

Rob

easy - peasy , so long as you are committed, I only started riding in Aug 2011 but managed to tour fully loaded through the Alps across France and into the Pyrenees this summer. That was doing maybe a 100k forum ride once a month, and the odd audax/sportive and spending a lot of time on the Turbo over winter. I would recommend a turbo if you are struggling to get out during the week. As mentioned planning is half the fun though not having to carry your own luggage would be nice!

OP
OP
DooDah

DooDah

Veteran
Thanks guys. I would like to do it without carry luggage, hence why I was thinking of Great Bear Tours. It is supported, but a bit more informal than some of the other tour operators (and cheaper). I think it is 800 pounds for 10 days which includes accomodation (mix of hostels, hotels and B&B), evening meals and transfers to Lands End and from JOG. Just started on my Turbo, and I think it is helping, although boring as hell, but I can't have it every way.

OP
OP
DooDah

DooDah

Veteran
No, but others have posted to say they are thinking about it. If you know anyone that has, I would certainly like some feedback. I would not part with my money without some reviews. I am very early in the stages of planning this so any advice would be gratefully received.

squiddley

Well I did email the company,got a reply with a load of information about what they provide for the price of £800.But like you i don't know anybody who has done it.

Graham 26

I've been trying to get feedback on Great Bear too, but haven't had any response. I'm looking to do the ride with them in September and have paid a deposit (which is all I will pay until I get more information and feedback). They've told me there's only 3 more available spaces, so someone's booking with them?
They do also advertise as supporting Cancer Research UK, so I would be very upset and disappointed if they turned out wrong...Why are we always sceptical when we don't really know who we're dealing with?

OP
OP
DooDah

DooDah

Veteran
Thanks for the feedback. I actually only have the weekends, I could book time off, and may have to, but I am self-employed so this is difficult.

wintonbina

Über Member
Thanks for the feedback. I actually only have the weekends, I could book time off, and may have to, but I am self-employed so this is difficult.
Start by doing 25m in the morning & then 30m in the afternoon then do the same on Sunday and start to build up from there. Cut out the beer(or reduce it!:cheers:) and eat healthly also early to bed Friday & Saturday nights to improve your recovery times & lots of stretches before, during & after all rides.
Very do-able and good luck, Tony

OP
OP
DooDah

DooDah

Veteran
I've been trying to get feedback on Great Bear too, but haven't had any response. I'm looking to do the ride with them in September and have paid a deposit (which is all I will pay until I get more information and feedback). They've told me there's only 3 more available spaces, so someone's booking with them?
They do also advertise as supporting Cancer Research UK, so I would be very upset and disappointed if they turned out wrong...Why are we always sceptical when we don't really know who we're dealing with?

I agree, I don't like the fact that there is no address on the website and just a mobile number, always makes me nervous:ohmy:

robgul

Legendary Member
I agree, I don't like the fact that there is no address on the website and just a mobile number, always makes me nervous:ohmy:

This gives a name but doesn't help much some name Googling may reveal more?

Domain name: great-bear-tours.co.uk

Registrant: Joey Woodage

Registrant type: UK Individual

Registrant's address: The registrant is a non-trading individual who has opted to have their
address omitted from the WHOIS service.

Registrar: Gandi t/a Gandi [Tag = GANDI]
URL: http://www.gandi.net

Relevant dates:
Registered on: 03-Mar-2010
Expiry date: 03-Mar-2014
Last updated: 16-Apr-2012

GoForIt

DooDah, You can do it!

You are already doing reasonably long rides and your legs will develop as you complete the ride. You will not be riding flat out all day (accepting there is no 'taking it easy' going uphill) and simply need to be realistic regards your estimated mileage each day - it's a long ride so it doesn't matter if it is a day or two longer to keep you in your (just about) comfort zone.

Couple of suggestions: a) Try to keep your accomodation as flexible as possible so you can optimise each days ride according to the conditions and how you feel (I didn't pre-book at all but identified a 'minimum', 'target' and 'stretch' destinations the night before and checked there was a range of B&B/cheap hotel options in each) and b) aim / expect to increase the average daily mileage so the latter days are approx 25% further than the initial days.

Good luck, Go For It!

Top Bottom