LEJoG August, unsupported wild camping and advice

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Holdsworth

Über Member
Hi all,

So I've already posted in here about the cycle spaces on the Penzance train but I will also post about my trip in general as I'm in need of a little advice and reassurance. It is in 2 weeks and I've never done a long tour before but have been cycling on and off for the past 4 years now and at a stage where I can do 50 miles fully-loaded without too much strain and fatigue so I believe my fitness is getting there. I will be doing another short trip to the welsh borders and back this weekend as another dry-run with all the gear to get it down to a tee.

Now my trip will be unsupported and will take place over 15 days, I wanted to give myself the easiest time possible on this trip as I am not going for any records here and have 3 weeks off. So far I have devised a basic route of approximately 985 miles which will see me doing 65 miles on average per day. Hopefully this shall give a relatively easy-going ride with time to make a few decent stops each day to take it all in.
My plan is to camp along the way to minimise cost and maximise adventure value and I believe I have all of the necessary equipment to do so, even though it all adds up in weight. So far my gear consists of the following, please tell me if there is anything else I should add:

Bike is a Revolution Country Traveller 2011, recently had chain, cassette, bottom bracket, brake pads and pedals. New bar tape fitted and brooks B17 installed for comfort.
  • Vango Banshee 200 tent
  • Self-inflating toll mat
  • 2 season sleeping bag
  • 2x 40 litre EBC panniers
  • Altura 7 litre bar bag
  • 2x bib shorts
  • 2x jersey
  • set of casual clothes for off the bike
  • SPD's
  • Folding aluminium table
  • Compact stove and cookset + utensils and bowl, cup etc.
  • Basic foods (pasta, rice, cous cous, coffee) - Daily consumables bought en route
  • First aid kit
  • Mini track pump
  • Spare tubes
  • Puncture kit
  • Emergency spoke
  • Tools (allens keys, screwdriver, cassette tool, 10mm spanner)
  • Phone
  • Camera
  • Maps + guide books (where applicable)
  • Chain lube
So far that is all I've got. I don't know where daily water comes into on that list as I've nowhere to store it, and if I go for wild camping, there will be nowhere convenient to fill my bidons or get enough for a body wash or clothes wash, does it just come to asking at house in situations like that? If it comes to I'll just have to stay at sites instead as they are reliable water sources.

Anyway here's my route. I've got it pretty much sussed and have decided that I want to see the west coast of Scotland and also visit the Lizard and Bodmin Moor whilst I'm down south. My only real concern is the bit between Warrington and Preston, the area is a maze of urban sprawl and motorways/dual carriageway and looks a right paint to ride through. Some help in that area would be helpful.

Thanks guys :thumbsup:

snorri

Legendary Member
Some thoughts:smile:
It would be worth fitting a couple of cages for water bottles on your frame. You can buy "proper" bottles, but it is usually possible to find a used soft drinks bottle that will fit.
Water can usually be obtained from public toilets, cafes, pubs, car wash bays, etc
Folding aluminium table sounds like an unnecessary luxury.
Tools, always a gamble, but I would not carry a cassette tool, or more than one spare tube.
If carrying a spare spoke you would want to carry a spoke key too.
Re Warrington/Preston, I went via Chester, Birkenhead, ferry over the Mersey to Liverpool, up the coast to Southport and on to Preston, that turned out ok for me.
Good luck, enjoy^_^.

OP
OP
Holdsworth

Holdsworth

Über Member
I have 2 bottle cages on my frame taken up by two bottles, a 750ml and a 500ml bottle. I can easily get through both of these in 30 miles in the weather we've had recently so obviously need filling up, so far I've had luck with small convenience stores and cafes. Cemeteries are a brilliant idea and I would never have thought of that and I am sure that I'll pass all the others along each leg of my route. In a pinch clear stream water boiled or treated with chlorine tabs and neutraliser should be fine when I camp for the night up in the wilds of Scotland.

For camping now I've decided on actual campsites until I reach Scotland for my own to save finding a spot to pitch my tent after a long day on the bike. After the border I have found plenty of decent looking spots on maps and street view out of the way along minor roads and near to trees where I should okay to pitch. The ones in England I have booked in advance to avoid possible over-booking during the peak period and no site is costing me more than £12 per night, most are under a tenner per night. The final night after finishing I have a hotel booked in Thurso so that I can have a restful sleep and be able to leave early for my train at 6:50 in the morning without having to pack down beforehand.

I have now altered my route plans and intend to follow the route set out in this book for the majority of my journey:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/End-Cycle-Route-Cycling-Cicerone/dp/1852846704

I have deviated from that route in some areas such as through Shropshire and Cheshire where I will visit my Grandparents to stay the night and also make a flying visit to home to see my mum before leaving to make camp at Culceth. My nightly stops will also be different later on in the journey as I said about my minor route deviations and also for the fact that the book gives 14 days for the trip whereas I'll be riding the route in 15 days. I will be keeping up more or less with the book for most of it but have planned in the last days in the northern Highlands to be shorter and slower-paced.

You can see my route in full, stage by stage here:

http://ridewithgps.com/users/48894/routes

The kit is coming together now, I have all the clothing I'll need and will be laminating a selection of map pages from an A6 atlas to guide me along my route. The aluminium table is no problem at all to carry as it weighs next to nothing and rolls up to a small size, it fits nicely in one pannier upright next to my self-inflating roll mat. The advantage of having a level surface on which to place my cooker and prepare meals outweighs the minor amount of space it takes up.

Physically I am now in good shape and can keep going for over 60 miles, unloaded though, but have not done many consecutive days long riding. I should've really but have been sidetracked here and there. I have lost a little weight over teh last few weeks and can slip into my old work clothes slightly easier now, it is only 3-4kg or so but it is something although at 86kg I am still no lightweight, hopefully some more will drop off in the next few weeks whilst I am on my ride. I may not be in peak shape but I wholly believe I am capable of the 15 days of riding ahead if I pace myself properly and give plenty of time to do each day, even if it take 7 hours to do 70 miles. In the weeks just gone I have found how far I can ride after breakfast and how far it is between feed stops. This is on the relative flatness of the Cheshire Plain and the Peckforton Hills so may be totally inaccurate for the Cornish and Devon hills that I'll face in my first few days but we will see how I get on.

You seem to have covered most needs, I would also say dump the table, unless you are a superman, you will by the end of your trip be wishing you had left it behind, before I do a trip I normally load all the kit on the bike and take it for a hilly ride, firstly to make sure everything is fitting correctly so that when going up or down hill nothing is going to fall off and that the load is balanced on a long trip a unbalanced load can be a pain in the backside. Regarding spokes I would take at least five because sod's law means that if one breaks, for sure another will pop and always in the most inconvenient place and time. One thing I do to some of my spare spokes is I cut off the Mushroom head on the Axle end and then put a short S Kink into the Spoke at that end, then if a Cassette side spoke breaks, I don't need to remove the Cassette, just remove the broken spoke, then twist the kinked end of the new spoke into the Axle holes, refit the spoke into the rim and tighten up.. easy pessy, when you find your next LBS you can get then to fit a new spoke and re true the rim.

alans

black belt lounge lizard
Be advised that the hardest part of an E2E route is the south west**;so if you feel daunted for the first few days I would encourage you to persevere.The topography gets generally more cycle friendly after Bristol.
Plus you do ride into fitness ( or you become fit for nothing^_^).

** many folk believe this is the reason why many riders abandon in the first few days,not realising that it does get better.

Brit on a bike

Sounds like you're pretty sorted. I'd ditch the table too. I took a tiny little stool with me when I went around Europe last year - it lasted less than a week! You'll always find a bench or rock that'll do just as well.
I've just started planning my own LEJOG, leaving in 2 weeks time and hopefully will take 14 days......May well see you on the way! Drop me an email if you need any help on the way.
Phil

OP
OP
Holdsworth

Holdsworth

Über Member
Yes I do understand that the first few says are looking to be the worst by far in terms of the sheer climbing involved. Day 2 for example take me over Dartmoor and has over 5800 feet of climbing over 64 miles, I will just keep my speed down and my body fueled up to make it over the top and down to my campsite for the night at Drewsteignton. The day after I have a long day riding, 75 miles which takes in the Blackdown Hills and brings me down into Street, Somerset where I have a pitch booked at Bramble Hill.

Thanks all for your advice so far, I'm getting there slowly and double checking everything to make sure it is all covered.

OP
OP
Holdsworth

Holdsworth

Über Member
I am fully packed and leave in the morning, see you all in 2 weeks :smile::bicycle:

db7db7

Hi,
i completed mine last year - very similar to you.
a) please ditch the table - unnecessary unless you plan some impromptu speed-dating.
b) don't worry about pre-booking camping - you will always find somewhere - and often a bit of a sob story/mention of the charity you're doing it for will cut the price.
c) if wild camping at all i sometimes used leisure centres. Just locked the bike up outside, explained the situation and enjoyed a lovely warm shower and cleaning facilities. You might even get a sauna!
d) water. Always take advantage of chances to refill/buy. I had one day where i was making my 2 bottles last around 70 miles at one point and started to worry, but luckily found somewhere. Always fill up.
Finally, best of luck, i'm proper jealous!
D

OP
OP
Holdsworth

Holdsworth

Über Member
Okay I'm back, finished at JoG on Monday as planned, 16 days in total including one rest day (20m cycle) at Ft William. In short I've had a few struggles; broken spoke, hamstring strain, fatigue and constant headwinds in places but I've done it. Plenty of photos to share and in time I'll get them all posted in a blog on CGoaB and on here. Only camped 3 times though, day 0, 1 and 4, the rest I used hostels and B&B's as for the most part I was too knackered and didn't fancy setting up a tent etc. after 65-70 miles and 8 hours plus of riding and stopping. When I passed by home in Crewe on day 6 I dumped the camping gear and associated gubbins and carried on with just the 1 pannier and a rack-top bag, the result was a much lighter load that was easier on my poor legs going up hills.

OP
OP
Holdsworth

Holdsworth

Über Member
Nah they haven't but I need to get more training on if I'm to be fit enough to do RTW unsupported in 2-3 year's time. It was a great achievement to have gone so far and I'd love to do it again but I need to prepare myself more next time. Even through all the pain, Cornish hills and headwinds I had a great time, met some awesome people and saw some awesome things.

Top Bottom