LEJOG Bike?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hi,

Relatively new to cycling and first time on this site but it looks like a good place so I might be on a bit in the future!

Im doing Lands End - John O'Groats in October for charity and have been training on a fairly beat up Dawes Giro 300 for the last few months. (http://www.dawescycles.com/p-150-giro-300.aspx)

My questions I thus...
a) Assuming I get a full service before I set off, do people think that this entry level bike will get me through the 1000 miles okay???

b) My plan currently is to do LEJOG on the Dawes and if I'm still cycling through the winter, to upgrade to a nice £1000-ish bike. I have really got the bug tho and am considering upgrading early... What is the difference really between an entry level £350 bike like the Dawes and a swanky carbon frame? Is the speed THAT noticeable? I imagine its not going to be a leap the same as stepping up from mountain bike for the first time, but are the gains that noticeable???

If so I may upgrade in time for LEJOG as I am hoping to join a club after completion anyway.

Thanks in advance! (assuming someone replies!)

Cheers,

Marty.

Top Bottom