LEJOG Can it be enjoyable?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Amanda P

Legendary Member
We used a route posted with maps here.

Came through Bristol early on a Sunday morning. Apart from bits of it being knee-deep in litter and the Clifton bridge being closed on account of a festival, Bristol was no problem.

The Preston bit wasn't too bad either. The A9 is fast, but it isn't actually all that direct.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Yes they occasionally close the bridge during big events because all the people walking across it (when it was closed to cars), set off some kind of oscillation that in theory could cause it to collapse.

I would like them to open it to cyclists only on those days.... we wouldn't have those marching feet and it would encourage people to cycle to the big events. However I guess it would be really hard policing it.

CopperBrompton

Bicycle: a means of transport between cake-stops
I enjoyed 95% of mine, but did it at a very relaxed pace. We took 18 days, so mostly 50-60 miles a day. At that pace, we were able to just sit back and enjoy the ride.

We did a mix of back-roads and main ones, and found that many main roads are fine. If they parallel a motorway, traffic levels tend to be low. Look for the non-trunk A-roads (red rather than green on the maps).

bagpuss

Guru
I did this ride in 1992 or 3 . I loved to whole 10 days of it,even when it was pi$$ing it down.If I can find my old route plan I will send it to you.I rode it solo and met Mrs Bagpuss at the end of the day.She kept a diary of the 10 days and it still makes me laugh.

Top Bottom