LEJOG - JOGLE "Any claims on the oldest person to complete"

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Skipper9999

Yes as the title states I just wondered if anyone had any knowledge or claims on the oldest person to complete an End to End on a bike (unpowered).

Wikipedia has loads of info about end to ends but this claim is missing.

DefBref

Über Member

bootsy

Regular
Yes as the title states I just wondered if anyone had any knowledge or claims on the oldest person to complete an End to End on a bike (unpowered).

This is a difficult record to prove,are they going solo with or without a backup vehicle or using a ferry which is not cycling the whole way.
There must be quite a few oldies who have not disclosed their rides.I did it aged 72 solo going again 2016 aged 75 I suspect I will have to go
around 85 to get near a record.

bootsy

Regular
Hi
I was aware that he had done an assisted ride at 81,take my hat off to him but what is the record solo ride for the oldest rider without back up
and not cruising some parts of ride I would think that must be in the age bracket of 80-85

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
Hi
I was aware that he had done an assisted ride at 81,take my hat off to him but what is the record solo ride for the oldest rider without back up
and not cruising some parts of ride I would think that must be in the age bracket of 80-85

I don't think that there's any distinction between supported and unsupported rides. In both instances the cyclist will have pedalled the full distance. Categorising the ride could lead to:

The oldest person to have done LEJOG on a single speed bike
The oldest person to have done LEJOG on a hub geared bike
The oldest person to have done LEJOG on a fixed wheel bike
The oldest person to have done LEJOG on a five speed bike
The oldest person to have done LEJOG using B&Bs
The oldest person to have done LEJOG using hotels
The oldest person to have done the ride in a fortnight
The oldest person to have done the ride in a week

and myriad other categories and subdivisions.

bootsy

Regular
Yes you would need separate records for all categories.
Just Googled Records-cycle:End-to-End have a look at this click on All rides new on left of page click on page 6
and have a look at Jamie and Simon ride 28 May-6 June 2012 can you estimate the age of the war pensioners.
I would put them at 87-89

bootsy

Regular

Have found two war pensioners that cycled the route 2012 so I estimate they must be 87-89.
When I rang Guinness records up they said they only did the fastest recorded ride
You can get a chip put on at either end to authenticate the time,
A chap near me did it aged 83 and 6 months with two others but not recorded

vernon

A chap near me did it aged 83 and 6 months with two others but not recorded

It doesn't count then.

Official records go to those who make the effort to get them authenticated from the outset and comply with the rules and regulations of validation.

Your pal can claim an unofficial record if it makes you feel any better.

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
Why does the record need to be proven? If someone claims they did the ride at some ripe old age, and the person is of good character and has a few witnesses, that should be enough. Insisting that some elderly person provides 'proof' of such a ride is mean-spirited and diminishes their achievement.

vernon

Why does the record need to be proven? If someone claims they did the ride at some ripe old age, and the person is of good character and has a few witnesses, that should be enough. Insisting that some elderly person provides 'proof' of such a ride is mean-spirited and diminishes their achievement.

There are rules and regulations to be adhered to if a rider wants to make a claim. Throwing the regulations away opens the door to a host of spurious claims and increases the work involved in validating them. The achievement of completing a LEJOG is not diminished by failing to have it validated. The enjoyment comes from knowing that it has been done. I speak from experience. I have all of the documentation needed to have my ride added to a register of completions. The docs are in an envelope that has sat in my desk drawer for the past eight years. I don't need a certificate to confirm that I've done it.

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
The achievement of completing a LEJOG is not diminished by failing to have it validated. The enjoyment comes from knowing that it has been done. I speak from experience. I have all of the documentation needed to have my ride added to a register of completions. The docs are in an envelope that has sat in my desk drawer for the past eight years. I don't need a certificate to confirm that I've done it.
I think that's pretty much what I just said.

spen666

Legendary Member
..... The enjoyment comes from knowing that it has been done. I speak from experience. I have all of the documentation needed to have my ride added to a register of completions. The docs are in an envelope that has sat in my desk drawer for the past eight years. I don't need a certificate to confirm that I've done it.

Same here Vernon, mine was 6 years ago but still not sent off paperwork

Top Bottom