Lejog map

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Muty90

Hi. Lejog newbie. I am planning to do this for my 50th this year. I am a keen cyclist but not too great at planning my own route. Has any one got the full route and tips for things to take and places to stay. Don't really want to camp it. Also any tips on keeping the mobile charged up as I would like to record it. Thanks in advance.👍

robgul

Legendary Member
Have a look at www.cycle-end-to-end.org.uk for masses of resource and ready-made routes/maps

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
Thanks all.
And accomodation. Not camping it!!
Pre book and plan or book while you are cycling?
If you're solo then I'd book say 3 days in advance and then keep a rolling three days booked. That gives you chance to reroute if you can't get accommodation in the town you're targeting. If you're in a group (four of us did LEJOG last year) it is much more complicated. I'd book in advance if that's the case

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
A friend of mine did it last year. I rode about half of it with him (from Bodmin-ish as far as York). he was in charge of navigation and the bit I rode was all good. He based his route on this:

https://cycle.travel/route/lejog_east_coast

So this is definitely worth a look.

Although as we were staying with friends when we could we deviated where necessary. And I insisted on going through Zouch to collect the "Z" ;)

Last edited:

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
A friend of mine did it last year. I rode about half of it with him (from Bodmin-ish as far as York). he was in charge of navigation and the bit I rode was all good. He based his route on this:

https://cycle.travel/route/lejog_east_coast

So this is definitely worth a look.

Although as we were staying with friends when we could we deviated where necessary. And I insisted on going through Zouch to collect the "Z" ;)

That looks a good option if you only have a fortnight.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
That looks a good option if you only have a fortnight.
IIRC he did do it in 2 weeks. Including one rest day.

It was not, however, a gentle sightseeing outing. While I was riding with him we were doing 80-100 mile days at what to me at least was quite a fierce pace. Not saying that's a good or a bad thing - it was 100% his holiday and I was just along for a the ride for a few days, enjoying having all the organisation and planning done for me. Even if it was hard work at times.

But the route was fine.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
As to your other question Also any tips on keeping the mobile charged up as I would like to record it.

Easy answer is: Take a charge bank thingy. As you'll not be camping you'll be able to recharge at night, but having the charge bank will give you that extra bit of security.

More difficult answer is: Do you really want to record it on your phone? Are you planning to navigate with your phone too? That could put your phone in a vulnerable position on the handlebars. You might want to suggest getting a bike computer for that. But that's not a LEJOG issue and it does get discussed quite a bit elsewhere in the forum. So you might want to have a search around old threads for what they say about that.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
IIRC he did do it in 2 weeks. Including one rest day.

It was not, however, a gentle sightseeing outing. While I was riding with him we were doing 80-100 mile days at what to me at least was quite a fierce pace. Not saying that's a good or a bad thing - it was 100% his holiday and I was just along for a the ride for a few days, enjoying having all the organisation and planning done for me. Even if it was hard work at times.

But the route was fine.

If you did 96 mile days at 12 miles an hour, that would mean 8 hours of riding per day. if you did 2 hours of stops , you could be away by 8:30am and finish each day by 6:30pm. That’d take 11.5 days, allowing 2.5 days for travel either end. Not a gentle pootle but not a route march either.

Otherwise 90 mile days to take 1/2 hour off each ride part of the day and take 12 days.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
If you did 96 mile days at 12 miles an hour, that would mean 8 hours of riding per day. if you did 2 hours of stops , you could be away by 8:30am and finish each day by 6:30pm. That’d take 11.5 days, allowing 2.5 days for travel either end. Not a gentle pootle but not a route march either.

Otherwise 90 mile days to take 1/2 hour off each ride part of the day and take 12 days.
What we actually did isn't really relevant to the OP. We went a bit quicker than that and stopped a bit less and finished a bit earlier. I'm not sure what distances he did after I finished (exhausted) at York. If I was planning/organising it for myself I'd take longer. (But actually if I was planning it for myself I probably wouldn't do LEJOG at all, but that's neither here nor there).

As to the OP, who is beginning to plan, it would be a good idea to imagine what a really great day would be like. How far, how will you feel at the end, what kind of lunch stops, how do you want to pass the evening and so on. Then you'll get an idea of what kind of places you want to pass through, where you want to stay, how far you want to do each day.

Then maybe do a bit of doom mongering and imagine a day with mechanical issues, bad weather, and so on.

We had everywhere booked in advance about 60% hotels, 40% friends' places. This left little room for replanning or contingencies, but fortunately all went well.

Top Bottom