LeJoG or JoGLE - go for it - its easier than you think

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

CopperBrompton

Bicycle: a means of transport between cake-stops
I think it probably depends what you're used to. Round my way, the hills are very short, but there are some sharp ones, so short & sharp was far less intimidating to me than looooooooooooong uphill drags. As someone said to me when I expressed nervousness about Scotland, "by the time you get to Scotland, you'll be fit or you'll be dead". ^_^

alans

black belt lounge lizard
I expected to ride into fitness from JoG ( I did almost no pre-ride training/preperation) so that the hills of Cornwall would be do-able when I got there.I felt more like fit-for-nothing as I struggled up from the Tamar to St Anne's Chapel & had to walk a short distance just before the traffic lights near the top.

My ride diary is within Robgul's link above.

CopperBrompton

Bicycle: a means of transport between cake-stops
We cheated and used the A30 as a quick and flattish way through Cornwall. Still enough hills when we left it, though! I have a triple on the trike, and of course with no need to balance can cycle at 1.8mph if required. :-)

StuartG

slower but further
Not that I've done it but the thought of finishing at John O'Groats I think would put me right off going in that direction - not that Lands End is any great shakes but from what I've read JOG provides traditional highland hospitality, i.e. none!
Wrong. All you need when you get back to Wick is drink, food and warmth. Just find Wetherspoons (it has a fancy name). Good beer @ £1.94, spirits served not from optics but a shaky hand and two meals for the price of one. Can heaven get any better?

karl61

hi i'm planning it for next august, going through the midlands, 9/10 days, got the route nearly all sussed out, have to look at digs, doing it supported by a work colleague or my wife. but am looking forward to it.

bof

Senior member. Oi! Less of the senior please
Did it recently. LEJOG. For me Northern Scotland is the exotic bit so I felt I was leaving the best to last - and glad I did. Sorry that it had to end and will definitely tour Scotland by bike again - maybe in Autumn - I had no midges and the wonderful browns, reds and yellows of the vegetation to admire, not to mention the mountain tops sprinkled with snow on the last day.

rob andrew

to those that have done this, and those that are planning for that matter, are you/did you use proper touring bikes? I'd like to do this, but on a normal road bike. possible? and i mean with tent not b and b/hotels!

to those that have done this, and those that are planning for that matter, are you/did you use proper touring bikes? I'd like to do this, but on a normal road bike. possible? and i mean with tent not b and b/hotels!
My mate done it that way, used a clip on rack and stayed in BandBs/ Hostels. I'm planning to do something similar when I can get round to planning.

Top Bottom