LEJoG Questions

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I'm in the very early stages of thinking about doing a LEJoG and I have a few questions which are probably stupid as I've never done an unsupported solo tour. I've done plenty of solo consecutive days but all from home base.
  • My first thoughts I'd like to travel light (credit card touring) but do I need to be constrained by pre booked B&Bs? or can I just say 'I plan to X but due to mechanical, etc I only done Y' or 'I'm feeling good and I'll go on to the next place'? A tent would be more unconstrained (assuming wild camping is OK) but thats goes against the idea of travelling light.
  • Security ? How do you secure your bike at B&B/ camp stops and do you need to lug round a big lock (not very light :wacko:) ?
  • Insurance - linked to the above if the worse happens are you covered if so who does it?
  • Transport - How easy by public transport is it to get to/from the start/finish ?
There's probably other thing I should consider if so what?

jim short

Regular
I'm in the very early stages of thinking about doing a LEJoG and I have a few questions which are probably stupid as I've never done an unsupported solo tour. I've done plenty of solo consecutive days but all from home base.
  • My first thoughts I'd like to travel light (credit card touring) but do I need to be constrained by pre booked B&Bs? or can I just say 'I plan to X but due to mechanical, etc I only done Y' or 'I'm feeling good and I'll go on to the next place'? A tent would be more unconstrained (assuming wild camping is OK) but thats goes against the idea of travelling light.
  • Security ? How do you secure your bike at B&B/ camp stops and do you need to lug round a big lock (not very light :wacko:) ?
  • Insurance - linked to the above if the worse happens are you covered if so who does it?
  • Transport - How easy by public transport is it to get to/from the start/finish ?
There's probably other thing I should consider if so what?

jim short

Regular
First of all I would look at the time of year you are thinking of doing your trip (Spring/Summer) favourable. Book yourself on a train via trainline.com (cheapest way) to Penzance(lejog) 10 miles from Lands End or Thurso or Wick (jogle) 20 miles . I would set yourself arealistic target for yourself each day thinking of avoiding major A roads, how much time you feel is required for leisure and pleasure and intensity of riding you so wish to do. I feel B&Bs are the best option as you can relax more after a days journey and put your feet up in a pub somewhere.Also if you ask when booking if they have a safe storage space for your bike it takes any stresses away. There is nothing worse than being tired on a bike and still having to look around for a B&B for the night.
Insurance you could join CTC and they have Insurance cover whether it covers LEJOG you may have to enquire.Hope this has been useful.

bof

Senior member. Oi! Less of the senior please
I just took a light cable lock. I had no problem with bike storage at any overnight stop and at many of my caff breaks felt no need to do any locking.

I think if you want to do it fairly fast you should pre-book accomodation. If you take your time you can afford to spend some of it looking for a place to stay.

I actually struggled to find a place that didnt want a minimum stay of 2 nights in Cornwall

snorri

Legendary Member
Some people just like to know they have a bed booked ahead, others don't worry about it, so it has too be a personal choice.
I did the trip off peak tourist season and had no problems. Around about 14.00 I had estimated where I might end up that night and just looked for a place when I got there. Sometimes by leaving it later my choice became limited and I found myself in accommodation which was a little more expensive than I might have wanted.
I quite enjoyed the B&B route, a lot less to carry every day, with all facilities in the room and breakfast served for you, it saved a lot of time each morning compared with camping, unless of course you like to be on the road by 06.00.
Most B&B places can find a place to park your bike safely, but it is best to establish that with the landlord/lady before confirming the booking. It would not be the first time I have told a landlady there would be no need for me to inspect the room before booking, but I did want to know where my bike would be overnight.
Security. I just use a cable lock for when I'm in a cafe or shop, if I felt I was in bandit country I just didn't stop there. Do any shopping in village shops rather than in bigger towns where security can be more of a problem.
Travel by public transport (rail) should not be a problem, just book in advance to get a better deal. Try www.redspottedhanky.com for booking and try various combinations of journey in order to get the best price. Remember you have to book your bike on the rain even although the ticket is free.
LEJOG is really not a big deal, just do it and enjoy it!^_^

Mr Bunbury

It's usually sensible to pre-book your bed at the weekend, for obvious reasons. During the week, just plot your route between reasonably-sized towns and you'll be sure of finding somewhere to stay.

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
if you travel outside the school holidays you'll probably be fine booking on the move in Scotland - even at weekends.

I sense that there's a larger question underlying this, though, and that is - whether to schedule or not to schedule. And...going on from that, whether you aim to do it as quickly as you can or you have a bit in reserve. And.....underlying that, the big question is why? Why are you doing this ride? Are you doing it because you think it will be a wonderful experience, or are you doing it for the sense of achievement?

If the former look at the route and ask yourself what you want to see. The route and the schedule will form around that. If the latter then you've got to work out the number of days so that you can pre-book your railway tickets and simply set off with a daily mileage in mind.

Falwheeler

Hi HLaB, as far as insurance is concerned, CTC ins will only give you third party cover. You may wish to consider Post Office Travel Insurance. You would be covered as long as the bike is your means of transport and you are not mountain biking or racin.

GoForIt

• B&Bs - yes definitely the way to go, you just need to plan for the cost (£35 B&B and £15 for dinner is a good guide). Depends when you go but I didn't pre-book at all and always found somewhere within 20mins (usually by sight / asking the locals - occaisionally resorted to the phone). You need to plan roughly where you may end up and be sure there are enough options, including having to stop sooner / later (eg. +/- 15 miles), but this flexibility will optimise your day's ride massively.
  • Security. I carried a lock the whole way and never use it. All the B&Bs could secure the bike and I don't think my dirty bike with paniers was attactive enough to nick (although I always left it in eyesight when in cafes)
  • Insurance. Most house insurances cover bikes and personal effects when they are out of the house/garage
  • Transport. Train to to Wick/Thurso/Penzance and then pre-arrange a Taxi (many of them have bike carrieirs or vans if several bikes). Or cycle the last bit if you have the time/inclination (which I didn't!).
Best of luck, hope it goes well.

GarminDave

Regular
Any update on your plans?

I always have the dilemma of freedom from booking overnight accommodation and the additional weight of camping kit. In 2012 I did two multi day trips and took the insurance of camping gear. The cycle weighed a ton, well it felt like a ton, but the flexibility of stopping almost anywhere was stress relieving and the luxury of a B&B was a wonderful reward after sleeping in a tent for a couple of nights.

I kept a blog and keeping all the communication devices fully charged was an issue. At Christmas Santa brought me an E-Werks gizmo and cache battery, not used in anger yet, but this will help with charging, iPad, iPhone, Garmin. I used charging as an excuse to B&B, not got that get out of jail card to play now!

Good luck on your planned ride and enjoy,

Later

Dave

OP
OP
HLaB

HLaB

Marie Attoinette Fan
Any update on your plans?

I always have the dilemma of freedom from booking overnight accommodation and the additional weight of camping kit. In 2012 I did two multi day trips and took the insurance of camping gear. The cycle weighed a ton, well it felt like a ton, but the flexibility of stopping almost anywhere was stress relieving and the luxury of a B&B was a wonderful reward after sleeping in a tent for a couple of nights.

I kept a blog and keeping all the communication devices fully charged was an issue. At Christmas Santa brought me an E-Werks gizmo and cache battery, not used in anger yet, but this will help with charging, iPad, iPhone, Garmin. I used charging as an excuse to B&B, not got that get out of jail card to play now!

Good luck on your planned ride and enjoy,

Later

Dave
I'm waiting to see how my finances pan out before I commit to anything but I really want to do it either September this year or spring next.

GarminDave

Regular
Finances, yes that is always an issue. I'm hoping to camp more this next part for that very reason. Whatever you decide I hope you enjoy it.

Later

Dave

Top Bottom