LEJOG Route advice

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

db7db7

Hi all,

This is a copy of a message i've posted on the CTC website, but thought i'd also ask here - again, the source of excellent advice in the past. So, if anybody can offer advice, it would be greatly appreciated,
Ta,
D

http://connect.garmin.com/course/3752821

Firstly, many thanks for all of your posts - this site and cyclechat have been so useful since i began cycling last year; from helping me choose my bike (Specialized sirrus comp) to planning our trip to Paris.
In July a friend and I are doing LEJOG for charity, unsupported staying in B&Bs and tenting. We've come up with the following overall route (from researching and eaves dropping!) and are still to chop it into days (around 12) with stops etc. I was just hoping before we do we might get some feedback from the experts on here! Have we made any schoolboy errors, are we heading off a cliff anywhere etc? We'll be riding hybrids with 700 x 28s so don't really want canal/woody paths etc.
Any advice is massively appreciated and a virtual pint will be raised in your honour!
icon_smile.gif

Many thanks,
D

BigonaBianchi

Yes I can, Yes I am, Yes I did...Repeat.
I.can't see that on my phone but have just got back from lejog so if can help just ask.

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Looking at the route as it passes through my area, there are a couple of things that spring to mind:

The A49 through Shropshire is a road I personally would avoid as it is busy with lorries and impatient motorists. As an alternative I'd suggest that from Leintwardine you follow the B4385 to Bishop's Castle, then the unclassified road which passes Norbury, Wentnor and Bridges, then goes through Pulverbatch, Longden, Hook-a-Gate and into Shrewsbury. Despite being unclassified, this road is as wide and well maintained as most B-roads in the area. You also cross the A5 south of Shrewsbury on a bridge rather than a junction. The downside is the climb up to Cothercott Hill, although it's a long gentle climb approaching from the south.

From Shrewsbury to Whitchurch I'd suggest the A528 to Harmer Hill, followed by the B5476 through Wem to Whitchurch. This route runs pretty much parallel to the trunk road avoiding the detour into Shawbury shown on your existing route and also this junction where you'd have to cross into the right hand lane of a 70mph dual carriageway to enter Whitchurch.

I hope this is of use.:thumbsup:

gavgav

Guru
I would echo Phil's advice. Anyone who chooses to cycle along the A49 simply must have a death wish. It's a nightmare in a car, never mind on a bike. There are a whole host of lanes to choose from in Shropshire and I would heartedly recommend you use them.

e-rider

crappy member
avoid the A30 in Cornwall - worst part of my LEJOG for sure and also two guys got killed by a truck on the A30 doing LEJOG a few days ago! It might be quite a detour to avoid the A30 but well worth it.

OP
OP
db7db7

db7db7

Hi,
Thanks Bigonbianchi - i may well be in touch.
Thanks very much gavgav and Phil - i have edited the route just as advised by you (although not on the above link as i'm now putting it into 100 mile-ish sections).
This is why these forums are so helpful, especially when you don't know the roads and particularly with the terrible news this week of the 2 cyclists killed on the A30 (thoughts with their families).
As a result, i've also changed the A82 section in scotland, and instead leave Glasgow along cycle routes towards the A9 up to Inverness (BOB, did you do this route?).
If anyone has further advice or thoughts on ANY sections they would be appreciated - priority one is stay safe - speed is a distant second.
Thanks again and take care.
D

BigonaBianchi

Yes I can, Yes I am, Yes I did...Repeat.
at loch ness it seemed a better idea to change the route and instead of heading north on smaller roads to head up the A9 towards inverness then just keep going to jog.
The A9 is a rideable road, busy in stretches but nothing more than I have locally here. It's not the picturesque route though. Most of the ride prior to loch ness had been on lovely quiet lanes avoiding A roads.

deanE

I did the JOGLE in May. My first day took me to Dunnet Head then back down to the A9 just above Helmsdale. I also took the A82 through Spean Bridge to Fort William. I cycled through Glasgow towards Hamilton and Larkhall, to follow the M72, then down to Gretna. Pretty much as your route down to Severn Bridge, except that I did use some byroads and canal paths alongside main road and kept to A49 avoiding Shawbury. Very few B&B opportunities in Monmouth. After crossing the Severn I kept out of Bristol, through Avonmouth and crossed the M5 bridge (easy to miss coming South), Clevedon, Weston, Bridgewater, Tiverton, Morchard Bishop, Okehampton, Lewdown, Launceston. I did then use the A30 and old A30, turning off at Indian Queens to Ladock and Truro and down to falmouth, where I live. Last day took me out to the Lizard and then back through Helston and along the south coast to Penzance, Mousehole, Lands End. A great feeling to have finished. 960 miles for me including Dunnet Head and Lizard. I had planned to go through the Lakes and do Kirkstone Pass and a route that avoided the A30, but I lost a full day through sickness after Glasgow and had bad weather and head winds all the way, so kept on main roads more than I had intended and went over Shap rather than around Ullswater. Managed to make up time by Falmouth and finish within the planned 14 days. Whichever route you choose, I am sure it will be a great ride. Enjoy it and keep safe.

OP
OP
db7db7

db7db7

Thanks guys and great effort DeanE. I have put below the links for the 9 different sections (these won't be in 9 days, they're just so it's more manageable to use.)
Am i right in thinking the a9 has cycle paths up to Inverness? We don't plan on being on it after Inverness, apart from a very brief part.

1. http://connect.garmin.com/course/4056106 - Are the small rds i've chosen actual rds? I'm not gonna get stuck in a farm or something? :wacko:
2. http://connect.garmin.com/course/4056231
3. http://connect.garmin.com/course/4056358 - Thanks Phil!
6. http://connect.garmin.com/course/4064349 - is this the best/safest way up to A9 from Glasgow?
7.http://connect.garmin.com/course/4081693 - is this the best/safest way up to A9 from Glasgow?
8. http://connect.garmin.com/course/4081767 - A9 cycle paths if not is rd safe to use?
9. http://connect.garmin.com/course/4064601
for some reason 4 & 5 won't load, but they're the same as the main link above - am i best avoiding the A49 north of Whitechurch up to Preston and if so, what's the best way to do this?
Sorry for all the Q's.

Thanks again for ANY advice - i am so grateful.
D

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Can I just give a couple of small course corrections:

At Norbury, you don't want to go through the village itself (hilly) but stay on the main road which turns east before it gets to Norbury then swings round north passing Wentnor.

At Shrewsbury your marked route takes you the wrong way round the town centre one way system. Following the river round in a clockwise direction would be a pleasant (if not the shortest) alternative.

Finally, just so you're aware, where you've bypassed Lydbury North and Bishop's Castle (which saves a mile, maybe two) the route is hilly (gets a gradient arrow on the OS maps).

Am i right in thinking the a9 has cycle paths up to Inverness? We don't plan on being on it after Inverness, apart from a very brief part.

Yes, the route you've got mapped up to Inverness uses the sections of the old A9/ parallel cycle path (although on #8, it doesn't correctly follow the cycle path, a bit before you get to Loch Moy, but I'm sure you'll spot that). When I did that route 2 years ago, a bit further south, part of the cycle path was shut as construction traffic was using it, in connection with more dualling of the A9 - which was fine, as we just rode on the new (unopened) section!

Top Bottom