LEJOG with a baby

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
In more advance countries, Denmark, The Netherlands and Germany for example, babies are regularly taken out cycling with their parents, so that bit shouldn't be a problem. But LE-JoG might be a wee bit ambitious, maybe try something a wee shorter to start with :smile:

wyno70

My little boy is now 14 months old.

To be honest, at 6 months it was pretty hard work getting everything he needed in a car. On top of that, he was also a terrbile sleeper and as such, was very demanding at different times of the day. At times, simply getting through a day was challenging enough. That may sound a bit melodramatic but anyone that hasn't slept for the first 12 months of their babies life will know where I'm coming from!!

As for putting a baby that small in a trailer, I just wouldn't want to do it. I've had enough near misses myself, on my bike, that haven't been of my making and I just wouldn't him being exposed to that kind of risk.

Each to their own but I think I'd put it off for a year or two.

Either that, or get the grandparents in!!!!!!

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
apparently (accordingly to mrs alecetc) it's not good practice for a baby to spend too long in a car seat (the five hour trek to edinburgh was pretty much on the margins). i think you will have to break it up so no more than 4-5hrs a day with jr in the trailer.

hate to say it, but newbie parents rarely have any idea of what it's like with a baby prior to the event, no matter how much (usually contradictory) advice from those of us who've been there they get.

the best advice i had re being a new parent; ignore the advice of the well meaning but not the professionals.

ComedyPilot

Secret Lemonade Drinker
Miss CP has been out on the bike all year this year from 10 months old. Didn't go earlier due to winter/age.

She loves it now, and rocks off to sleep almost instantly, so I get a good training sesh pulling her.

I don't know what trailer you have, but a 'normal' car seat / travel-system seat can fit in our trailer.

Not that we use one now, as she's 18 months old and can hold her head up (another reason for not doing it sooner last summer)

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Its all very well saying call in the grandparents ... but I don't know (well I do know - I'd of missed them too much - now well that's a different matter:biggrin:) I wouldn't have left mine for a week at that age - apart from anything I was still breast feeding.

As for advice - listen to loads, experiment a little and decide which ones you are taking and which ones you are ignoring..... and some advice is awful... my aunt kept on trying to get me to feed them beetroot and egg within 2 weeks of birth. She reckoned it was really good to clear out their system!!!

wyno70

I'd agree with Alec. You'll get far too much advice from people who think they know what's best for you.

All you can do is see how everything goes when it arrives and do what you think is best.

As Alec says though, apparently they are not meant to spend more than 2 hours in a car seat at a time.

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
Another option to consider is that you do Lejog at a much faster pace while your partner stays home and 'bonds'. Even if you're still breast feeding(you may not at all), you can easily express enough milk to store in the freezer.

A week or two away, at that point, may be just the thing for your well being:biggrin:

wyno70

Forgot to mention, I was quite lucky in that my parents live in Shropshire, so I arranged to meet them + baby and have a day off riding before I did the last 3 days. Maybe an option to get them to meet you along the way!

Arch

Married to Night Train
summerdays said:
As for advice - listen to loads, experiment a little and decide which ones you are taking and which ones you are ignoring..... and some advice is awful... my aunt kept on trying to get me to feed them beetroot and egg within 2 weeks of birth. She reckoned it was really good to clear out their system!!!

I think my Mum has tried not to offer too much advice to my sister - apart from anything else, the prescribed wisdoms have changed over 35-40 years since we were babies. But I think where she's helped most is just to be there when my sister rings up worried about something, or just having had a hard day and listening and doing the whole "I know...." thing, which is usually just what she needs.

As far as I can tell, the trick is to ask for advice, but be prepared for several different answers, and do what seems sensible....:blush:

andyfromotley

Here is my suggested itenary for anyone with a new baby.

Leave baby at home with other half

JOGLE

LE to brittany

Down to morocco.

Ditch bike fly to Seychelles for a couple of weeks 'me' time.

Thailand??

Definitely australia (well yo're almost there anyway, be a shame to mis it)

Homeward leg begins. USA cycling down to patagonia.

week or two in the azores

Home.

Start planning next tour.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
andyfromotley said:
Here is my suggested itenary for anyone with a new baby.

Leave baby at home with other half

JOGLE

LE to brittany

Down to morocco.

Ditch bike fly to Seychelles for a couple of weeks 'me' time.

Thailand??

Definitely australia (well yo're almost there anyway, be a shame to mis it)

Homeward leg begins. USA cycling down to patagonia.

week or two in the azores

Home.

Start planning next tour.

Hmm.. . I think she may be missing her baby by then.... and my husband would have also divorced me whilst I was away I suspect:biggrin:

Davidc

Guru
Good luck Cathryn.

I'm sure that if you're both determined and organised enough it can be done and even enjoyed!

Not something I'd have done, going 150 miles to the in-laws in a car was bad enough when mine were at 6 months!

We waited until they were 2 (fully continent and self - feeding) before doing anything really daft (walking with backpacks and camping).

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
I was in a sidecar welded to the side of a tandem at the age of six months. Apparently my parents used to do 40 downhill, with nowt but a tucked in blanket holding me in. And we had rationing. And it was colder. Babies today, don't know they're born....

Top Bottom