LEL: rack pack or saddle bag

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

yello

Opinions please ladies and gentleman.

I'm looking at either a saddle bag (Carradice etc) or a rack pack for next year's LEL. Most randonneurs seem to prefer the saddle bag but I can feel myself edging towards the rack pack option. I somehow feel it'll be slightly more practical and I think weight wise there's little in it. Am I just flying in the face of fashion or is a saddle bag the better option?

Btw, I have a handlebar bag already.

Greenbank

Über Member
I use a saddle bag (Carradice Barley) for rides up to 300s but it's just not quite big enough for an overnight ride (i.e. 400 and longer) so I use a Creek2Peak rack pack.

The Carradice Barley + SQR block is about the same weight as my rack (Tortec Ultralite) and the Creek2Peak rackpack. I prefer the rack option for overnight use as it means I can fit the B&M D'Toplight rear light.

The danger is that a bigger bag means you carry more (heavier) stuff.

LEL is a different kettle of fish though as I'll be approaching it as a series of 300km+ day rides and one final day to finish off the remaining km. This, combined with suitably placed bag drops, should mean I don't need to carry huge amounts of stuff.

The other possibilities are a Pendle (11L), Nelson (15L) or Nelson Longflap (18L), SQR Tour (16L).

I must get down to a Carradice stockist and have a look at them all.

OP
OP
Y

yello

Cheers Greenbank. I'd hoped you might respond since your active on this subject on yacf. I too am treating LEL as consecutive long day rides but probably having only one bag drop - but plently of time to finalise details. I'm also considering just using a single pannier since it means I don't have to buy any more kit.

I'll probably ask on yacf, I think there are more audaxers over there.

jimboalee

I use neither. I only carry my PRK, wallet etc, phone and camera. I mail my change of clothes to my lodgings one week before, then phone to check they’ve arrived.
The penalty of doing this is paying a whole nights B&B rate for four hours sleep, and buy replacement kit en route in emergencies.

In days gone by, this was called “Credit Card Touring”, but it works for Audax too.

Randochap

Senior hunter
Rack trunk option

I have both Carradice Barley (not to mention a 30 y/o single compartment Carradice) and a rack "trunk" from Quebec-based Arkel. The Arkel Tailrider is a beautiful product, which I've used on most of the long brevets I've ridden.

I used it at PBP last year ... and everthing stayed dry. It has an integrated rain cover, but it's not really needed w/ the sealed zippers.

There's some photos of it on my PBP-ready bike on this page It is supported on a Tubus Vega.

A good "in use" shot here.

OP
OP
Y

yello

If that works for you jimboalee then stick with it but I can't afford that route. Besides, I's like to keep my stuff with me in case things don't go quite to plan!

OP
OP
Y

yello

That's a long and low rack, sorry trunk pack you have there randoman - looks the biz. I was looking at some axiom trunk packs on the web earlier, they look pretty solid too.

Btw, are they Carnacs beneath the bike?

Randochap

Senior hunter
yello, those are Specialized "Comp" shoes. Love 'em. I have short, fat feet and the Specialized shoes have very roomy toe box. I've had very minor hot foot probs since switching. I just grabbed another pair at discount. Black, this time.

BTW, the rack on the autumn ride shot is an Axiom "Streamliner," a great bargain at around $35, here. They have the "Euro-type" integrated light bracket, same as the Tubus, on which I mount an Axlen tail light.

You're clicking the bigger pix, huh?

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
Just received my Arkel Tailrider and very impressed, seems well made, robust and, best of all, actually fits on my rack. Plan is to do away with saddle packs, bar bags, bum bags and just keep everything in this. Should transfer between bikes no problem and allow for all my needs unless transporting laptop.

col

Legendary Member
I will eventually get myself something like that, but I have got a cheap standin at the moment, its a shoe bag I pinched of my son, fits the top of the rack and holds everything I need, just not very waterproof, but there is a carrier bag inside incase Im caught out.

Greenbank

Über Member
Having done London to Edinburgh (as a 300, 200 and 200 on consecutive days) I'm happy with using the rack pack.

Especially given I had to carry extra stuff since I didn't have any bag drops along the way. A 13L rackpack would easily suffice (mine expands to 22L which helped carry the extra clothes I needed for 3 days of riding).

Here it is http://www.greenbank.org/misc/le13.jpg at the end of the Moorfoot Hills (400m up and 40km to go to Edinburgh which you can see in the distance, that's Arthur's Seat and Edinburgh Castle Hill on the horizon).

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
I've always managed with an 'aero' saddle bag, but I'll admit to becoming a bit smelly.

Once again, I've got Agu panniers at home if anybody wants a borrow of them. They're on the big side, but you don't have to fill them.

Nuncio

Über Member
I'll be sticking with my Barley/Bagman combination, with maybe a small crossbar tri-bag for on-the-go snacks. One of the advantages of this set-up when compared to a rack pack - or, at least the rack pack I used to have - is the quick-release element. When going in-and-out of controls or at in-between shop stops it's easy to unhook the bag rather than messing about with under-bag velco straps. I haven't tried it out with full kit (not sure yet what full kit is going to be) but expect it to be a bit of a tight squeeze. At least the size limitation will force me to think a bit and will reduce the opportunity to take unnecessary stuff. As an aside, I have been meaning to start looking for a space blanket/bag - not sure if that's the right terminology- so any suggestions, preferably for a lightweight, non-noisy one, would be welcome.

I'll be using two bag drops, one official and one at my mum's which is about 500m off-route with 300km to go. That should help with the packing. Also I plan to do the whole thing with a mate so some of the kit (eg spare folding tyre, lock, chain tool) is likely to be split between us. I know this is a little risky, but we've done a couple of SRs together so it's a risk I'm prepared to take.

Greenbank

Über Member
My rackpack only takes 30 seconds to reattach, most of the time I left it on the bike whilst I was in controls (it was usually within sight) and just carried my valuables (wallet and phone) with me. Even quicker than a quick release setup that. :smile:

Nuncio said:
As an aside, I have been meaning to start looking for a space blanket/bag - not sure if that's the right terminology- so any suggestions, preferably for a lightweight, non-noisy one, would be welcome.

Quite rightly, foil space blankets (the noisy kind) will be banned from use within controls.

I bought a silk sleeping bag liner in a sale at Millets, only 125g and reduced from £32.99 to £20. I read that a few people used these to sleep in at controls on PBP so it should be fine for LEL.

tomkb

hey check out the topeak range... obviously depends how much u want to take but the dynapacks are a great option for small loads in a very lightweight aerodynamic design. when covered u know the stuff inside is staying dry!

Top Bottom