LEL - Training advice

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

arallsopp

Post of The Year 2009 winner
OK.

Humour me for a second. My long time cycling buddy has just asked if I want to join him in the LEL next year. The wife has said go for it. Work will give me the time off.

So, the only real obstacle is that this would be my (and his) first Audax, and that neither of us has ever ridden more than 110 miles in a day. I'm on an SMGTe, he's on a Marin San Anselmo. We both currently ride around 10 miles per week, so its quite a ramp up....

So... anyone got any idea about how to make this a reality without it killing either of us? We've got 272 days to go I guess, which is longer than I had to train for the marathon, and that seemed to work...

Andy.

yello

Plenty of time to get into shape. It's recommended that you get a 600km audax under your belt beforehand, though I won't be doing that. I'm aiming to do 4 consecutive 350's in the month prior, before tapering off for the event itself.

There's a pretty good training program in Simon Doughty's excellent "the long distance cyclists' handbook" if you want to take a look.

OP
OP
arallsopp

arallsopp

Thanks for the prompt response, and for not laughing out loud at us. All very encouraging.

Buddy is a single parent with a <1 year old, and I've a baby of 8 months, so there'll be some interesting schedules trying to fit in childcare, family time, and events like these.

I've eyed that book up at amazon marketplace, and next on the list might well be a trainer of some sorts. I was thinking of a Minoura VFS-GR Fluid Trainer with Remote, from Wiggle?

Ah.. how I love to noob.

jimboalee

I've been to San Anselmo, Marin Co. Nice place, straight up Camino Alto off the Bridgeway. Great place, 8 bike shops within a 5 mile circle.

jimboalee

I've also been to Bromley. Have relatives in Maidstone. Some nice hills round there - Detling.
I suggest you make these kind of hills a regular trip, but whatever you do, get the miles in, and plenty of them.

yello

Imho, miles on the road are much better than miles on the turbo. LEL is about endurance; mental endurance as much as muscular. If you can force yourself out on the roads for a few hours in all weathers then I reckon that's good preparation too!

Btw, the training programme proposed in the book I mentioned is a 9 month program; starting with 60km rides and gradually building to 600 by the end of the 7th month - better get your 60 planned!!

OP
OP
arallsopp

arallsopp

jimboalee said:
I've been to San Anselmo, Marin Co. Nice place, straight up Camino Alto off the Bridgeway. Great place, 8 bike shops within a 5 mile circle.

It was always a plan to 'bring the bikes home', a multi-stage, multi year ride, from London to Marin Co. My Highway One was going to love it, but then life got in the way, the bike got stolen, I had a back operation...

The usual stuff really. Still, the recumbent has got me back in the saddle, and I'm eyeing up the local terrain with vigour. :smile:

OP
OP
arallsopp

arallsopp

Thanks for this Yello. I agree re the turbo, and am more restricted by the need to sit the baby than avoid the weather. Have pencilled in a 60 for Tuesday this week. Will reply in line with its post mortem. My suspicion is I'm 4mph faster than my buddy on average...

jimboalee

Highway One is a nice ride as well. Pacifica to Santa Cruz is just 102 km, so the return trip is a 200 rando.
Hurry up January !!!

Greenbank

Über Member
http://www.londonedinburghlondon.co.uk/

The "Training Plan" within the FAQ on that site is pretty minimal, but if you can do a couple of 600s in the run up to it you should be able to push yourself through. The more work you put in before the easier it will be and the less you'll have to rely on mental strength.

This year I got my first SR (200, 300, 400 and 600km rides). My plan for 2009 is:

J: 200
F: 200
M: 200 + 300 (The Dean)
A: 300 (Elenith)
M: 600 (Bryan Chapman Memorial) + 400 (DIY 400 to Cornwall)
J: 200 + 300 (Midland Super Grimpeur)
J: DIY 400 (Dun Run and back home again) + LEL

I also did the lower 300km of the LEL route (London to Thorne) this month as a DIY. I've also done bits of the Northern section (Middleton Tyas to Longtown) on another Audax. I'm hoping I can get a weekend to do Edinburgh to Thorne so I've had a look at the entire route and know what to expect.

I'm also dragging a friend of mine who's new to Audaxing on LEL. So far he's done four rides over 100km with me (longest being 240km) but I've got him booked in on most of the rides above to get him in shape.

OP
OP
arallsopp

arallsopp

Cheers Greenbank. Those DIY runs sound like a great idea, particularly when you've picked up the LEL route. I didn't know it was out yet? Are you and your friend planning to ride the LEL together, or just try to kip down at the same checkpoints?

Oh, and am back from our introductory Tuesday 60k. We managed 50k before realising that it was entirely too wet and cold and nasty. Lol. Fair weather fairies, that's us.

Including stop lights, traffic, a very slow section picking our way along the thames path (and me picking myself up off a big metal disc embedded into the apex of a corner thereupon) we averaged 10.45 mph. Not great....

Mind you. Neither of us were tired by the end, and the cycle computers says we averaged ~13mph (it doesn't count stops). I know 30 mins on the Thames path were between 7-9mph due to surface and blind corners, so I'm happy to think this would actually be quite achievable.

Ah... See what I've done there? Set a goal. Gone out. Missed it. Justified missing it, and taken the whole thing as encouragement. Ah... the agility of the mind.

Greenbank

Über Member
arallsopp said:
Cheers Greenbank. Those DIY runs sound like a great idea, particularly when you've picked up the LEL route. I didn't know it was out yet?

It's not been finalised yet, but the 2005 route is out there and although the 2009 route differs in various places I've got some info on the most likely deviations.

Here's the London to Thorne route we took:-

http://www.bikely.com/maps/bike-path/212282

Although we started from Clapham rather than faffing about on trains to get to Cheshunt. Slight mistake after Wormley where we were chatting and I wasn't looking at the GPS.

Slight deviation into Bourne as there's nothing to use as a control in Thurlby (the LEL control will be at the school there).

It then follows the proposed 2009 route through Sleaford, Ruskington, Scopwick, etc.

The 2009 Lincoln control will be in Washingborough, so a slight detour from this. Exit Lincoln up the Yarborough Road and it's pretty much the same route into Thorne. (My route then goes to the Thorne Travelodge and the next morning back to Donny for the train home).

From Thorne the 2009 route will somehow go up to Coxwold skipping past York (but not going through it). It then goes over to Middleton Tyas (probably via Maunby) and then through the villages above the A66 to Barnard Castle, through Middleton-in-teesdale, over Yad Moss to Alston. Brampton, Longtown, Langholm, Eskdalemuir, Tushielaw, Traquair/Innerleithen and up towards Dalkeith somehow.

arallsopp said:
Are you and your friend planning to ride the LEL together, or just try to kip down at the same checkpoints?

Together although that may mean being a few km or so ahead/behind at various points between controls. Will certainly stick to the same overnight stop schedule.

Top Bottom