Lemond

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Keith Oates

Janner
Noodley said:
<adopts interested and non-confrontational attitude>

Why is that Keith?

I must admit I was never a huge Lemond fan at the time, and I do think he can be a bit of an arse at times. However, I thought the mag revealed quite a bit about him and the era in which he raced - and why he may appear to be an "arse".

Lemond is widely recognised as the last clean winner of the TdeF.

I admit that he was a good rider and during his day was a pleasure to watch, but his jealousy of Armstrong for replacing him as the USA's finest roadie sickens me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
No, the best year was when Lemond won from Bernie....very bad for the frenchies.... there are some awesome pics as Lemond attacked on a climb... it's one of those that stuck with me, and it's on my office wall.... up yours.... !!!!!

fossyant said:
Final TT -oh yes up the Frenchies - had the whole family behind me.....

I've been following it since the mid 80's.

I thought the French hated Armstrong but when I watched the team time trial in Armstrongs last race, in a French bar (we'd been down to the road to watch them go by) the French were cheering him. I was surprised!

fossyant

The Yanks are up their own ass, but so WERE the French with the TDF.... but the Lemond/Hinault was the first time a non european had given them a kick up the whatsits......

OP
OP
simonali

simonali

Guru
Noodley said:
Yes it was. I have finsihed with it. Send me a PM with your address and I'll send it on to you.

That's bladdy nice of you, old chap. I shall forward said PM forthwith!

Noodley

Keith Oates said:
I admit that he was a good rider and during his day was a pleasure to watch, but his jealousy of Armstrong for replacing him as the USA's finest roadie sickens me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm not sure. There's no doubt he is a "bit miffed" but I reckon he may be justified. He never did get the recognition he deserved.

And I don't reckon Armstrong is the USA's finest roadie :thumbsup:

IMO Lemond's achievements (despite his faults) now stand out above most other "champions" since.

fossyant

Cackle...the Armstrong support was only because the Franch had no really good contenders for the GC - the hate for Lemond at the time for kicking Hinault's ass was really bad....

I'm not too impressed by the TDF now - riders train for that race and that's it.... the TDF winners aren't what they used to be... OK it's still very 'ard and stuff, but the season long stuff has gone.....

Keith Oates

Janner
Noodley said:
I'm not sure. There's no doubt he is a "bit miffed" but I reckon he may be justified. He never did get the recognition he deserved.

And I don't reckon Armstrong is the USA's finest roadie :thumbsup:
IMO Lemond's achievements (despite his faults) now stand out above most other "champions" since.

That's fighting talk:biggrin:!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

fossyant

Gonna get shot ere... but....

Hinault - good all rounder, won the Tour lots.. just don't get into the French politics....we know........

Lemond..... challenger, but did only really go for TDF

Ohh, so did every bugger ever after................

TDF - just a blooming showcase these days........

Dave5N

Über Member
fossyant said:
Gonna get shot ere... but....

Hinault - good all rounder, won the Tour lots.. just don't get into the French politics....we know........

Lemond..... challenger, but did only really go for TDF

Ohh, so did every bugger ever after................

TDF - just a blooming showcase these days........

Except it isn't because they lost control. Don't think it was exactly scripted for Contador (or Pereiro for that matter).

fossyant

Sorry dude cRackle !!!

No the TDF is a blooming joke,,,it was fixed for Bernie, but Lemond blew it for them - it was so entertaining to watch.... just awesome... I read a few books on it - it just wasn't done and some american fcuk'ed up the rules...

Bernie's book on setting your bike up for a good fit is brill... bloody shame I've lost it... Need a new bike..... go into shop..... fit it to this bike or else...... why ? - don't question Bernie....

girofan

Keith Oates said:
That's fighting talk:biggrin:!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:smile: Great! I'm up for a good row about that w***er LA.
Not fit to lick the Lemond cycling cleats! IMO Lemond was the last TDF winner not to dope. That is why in subsequent races during the early nineties he was struggling against a load of addicts.
Take that.:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Very interesting what different people regard as riding "clean". The general public see it as not taking any illegal substances at all, but I suspect that the riders see being clean as steering away from the heavy stuff like EPO and steroids.

The use of the minor drugs among the pros has always been seen as "looking after yourself" rather than cheating. That is not to make any assumptions about Lemond or anyone else, only they themselves know that.

Top Bottom