Lenovo G50 BIOS settings won't save

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Chris S

Legendary Member
I changed the BIOS settings on my Lenovo G50 so that I could boot Lubuntu from a USB stick (it normally runs Windows 10)

Whenever I set the BIOS settings back to how they were (by clicking restore default) they change on the screen but won't save. My laptop is now permanently trying to boot from a USB stick.

I did a Google search and somebody suggested the BIOS battery was flat. This can't be the case as the date and time are still current.

Somebody else has recently had the same problem as me, but in reverse. He can't save his new settings, they always go back to the factory defaults:
forums.lenovo.com/t5/Lenovo-B-and-G-Series-Notebooks/Lenovo-G50-80-BIOS-Settings-doesn-t-get-saved/td-p/3856678

Does anybody have any suggestions please?

Colin_P

Guru
I have a Lenovo G50 as well and it is the most hatefully terrible laptop I've ever owned. Bios has given no trouble (so far) but the touchpad is dire.

I thought I was buying some legacy IBM quality, but nope, never again.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I searched around and found someone with a similar problem. He was going to change the CMOS battery but didn't think it would help so he spoke to Lenovo support. The technician recommended that he do a BIOS update, which he did. That fixed the problem.

OP
OP
Chris S

Chris S

Legendary Member
I searched around and found someone with a similar problem. He was going to change the CMOS battery but didn't think it would help so he spoke to Lenovo support. The technician recommended that he do a BIOS update, which he did. That fixed the problem.
Thanks - I tried a BIOS update but I got a message saying, "The process does not recognize this system."
I did a Google search and it recommended trying an older version of the BIOS. When I did my laptop wouldn't let me install it, the message was something like, "a later version of the BIOS is already installed."
I've now installed Lubuntu as a dual-boot with Windows 10. I can now boot Lubuntu from the hard-disk but if I select Windows from the menu I get a message saying, "The boot configuration data for your PC is missing or contains errors."
I'll just use Lubuntu unless there is something that I specifically need on Windows. I can still run it but it means going into the BIOS first and selecting it from the boot menu.

OP
OP
Chris S

Chris S

Legendary Member
I have a Lenovo G50 as well and it is the most hatefully terrible laptop I've ever owned. Bios has given no trouble (so far) but the touchpad is dire.
I know what you mean - it resizes the browser at random. I've given up and just use a mouse :smile:

OP
OP
Chris S

Chris S

Legendary Member
And doesn't help Windows to boot up?
That's just my problem, nothing in the BIOS will save. If I want to run Windows I have to go into the BIOS and select it from the boot menu.
I think I'll use Lubuntu as my main OS from now on, it will actually boot when I press the ON button.

I read about this issue on the register but it didn't connect with this thread until now.

I imagine they'll help you eventually because the reputational damage could be immense

Fingers crossed

tKonKwa

Hello,

I sign in this site just to add a potential solution of this trouble. I know it's quite a long time that your issue happened, but since I felt on this web page first when I was looking for the same problem.

Mine, is that I was unable to change SecureBoot setting ( though other security settings didn't change too ;-) ) and the OS Optimized Defaults. And then, I could no more boot from something else then installed Ubuntu.

To be clear:

1) The laptop has Windows 8 installed on it
2) I upgraded it to Windows 10
3) After a while, a dual boot with Linux Mint
4) Removing Linux Mint to test Ubuntu (some Wine stagging installation requirements)
5) Ubuntu asking for secure something that I sais "OK, even though I do not understand what you meant" ... XD
6) No more possibilities to boot something other Ubuntu (no boot from CD, USB, on swapped HDD)

I was then looking to clear the CMOS. I found the battery, removed it but nothing changed....

And finally, I saw this site (url here after) when it's talked about a bug within Ubuntu 17.10 and, among others, the G50-80 laptop. I did what it's said.

http://dailylinuxuser.com/2018/01/h...stalling-ubuntu-17-10-on-a-lenovo-laptop.html

1) Install the kernel
2) Reboot once Ubuntu
3) I checked with "uname -a" if the kernel version is the one that I installed
4) Reboot once more and press F12 to open Bios Setup
5) And finally I can change my settings!!!!! Holly day is today!!!
6) I successfully boot a Linux Mint USB key

Maybe you can try this. Maybe this could help someone with the same trouble.

So long.

Top Bottom