Less aggressive positiing - sore lower back!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Have a look in latest C+, there's a 4-way review of £1000 bikes, comparing Allez Elite vs. Focus Cayo 105 vs. Colnago vs. Boardman Carbon.

The Allez has a considerably longer headtube, higher front-end.
Some reviewers preferred it, said it was the most comfortable ride, most forgiving.
Others preferred the Boardman and Focus which have a more aggressive position.

Up to you !

OP
OP
Wigsie

Wigsie

Nincompoop
I had a little go on an Allez Sport yesterday and it was more comfortable than I had imagined without even raising the bars. So the Allez is becoming a bit of a favourite.

I also had a go on a 2008 model 58cm Tarmac Comp which was on sale for £950! again the handle bars were at the lowest and with the seat reasonably high and it fit well (considering i am used to riding a small/medium Bianchi Dos MTB at the moment anything is an improvement).

The squishier ergonomic gel bits on the top stretch of the handlebars add a fair bit of comfort, I have big hands and a regular bar seems very thin. I presume these can be added to an Allez without too much fuss?

But I still have a bit of a hesitation when a 'salesman' recommends a sale bike to me, £500 off or not if its the wrong size its the wrong bike!

roadiewill

Im just a shade under 6ft and ride a 56cm specialized tarmac elite if that helps, inside leg of about 31-32 inches.

whats your height and inide leg?

OP
OP
Wigsie

Wigsie

Nincompoop
I am 6' 3" - 6' 4" (depending on my hair style) and have a 34" inside leg, on the 58 cm Tarmac with the saddle pretty high (but still with plenty to spare) my leg is very close to straight but not quite on the down pedal.

I think I may take it out for a longer test this weekend and see if the guy will do me a better deal (maybe throw in some spd's).

OP
OP
Wigsie

Wigsie

Nincompoop
The reach to the hoods was not as low as I was expecting, the drops were maybe a few cm low for long periods, but the handlebar stem thing (i believe that is the technical term) can apparently be reversed and I looked at it which should give me an extra 1.5 - 2cm judging by the angle of it.

Paul_Smith SRCC

www.plsmith.co.uk
Wigsie said:
I am 6' 3" - 6' 4" (depending on my hair style) and have a 34" inside leg, on the 58 cm Tarmac with the saddle pretty high (but still with plenty to spare) my leg is very close to straight but not quite on the down pedal.

I think I may take it out for a longer test this weekend and see if the guy will do me a better deal (maybe throw in some spd's).
34" inside leg, that your touser length or leg length to the floor?

I ask as if the latter that is quite short for someone 6' 4", a 34" would often be a 58cm Allez, 6' 4" normally require a 61cm; so in your case it would really be a wise idea to try before you buy

Paul_Smith
www.corridori.co.uk

OP
OP
Wigsie

Wigsie

Nincompoop
Ha ha Paul, I am doing trouser length! Divvy Newb apologies.

I had a go on the 61cm allez sport and liked it alot, but I preferred the ergo handlebars on the tarmac and Roubaix, anyone know how much an upgrade to these squidgy gel wonders would be for an Allez Elite? can you buy them seperate and slot them under the tape?

Paul_Smith SRCC

www.plsmith.co.uk
Wigsie said:
Ha ha Paul, I am doing trouser length! Divvy Newb apologies.

I had a go on the 61cm allez sport and liked it alot, but I preferred the ergo handlebars on the tarmac and Roubaix, anyone know how much an upgrade to these squidgy gel wonders would be for an Allez Elite? can you buy them seperate and slot them under the tape?
Thought you may had done :biggrin:, a 61cm from the info' about you I have so far would seem to be a good starting point. As for the tape yes you can easily make it thicker, either use two thin layers, pad out a single thin layer or use a thicker gel version, Specialized have a version as below called " BG Bar Phat Tape":

L_08BGBarPhat.jpg

To quote them: "A unique and lightweight Body Geometry road bar damping system that dramatically improves road bike comfort.

Independent testing at the GermanSportsUniversity in Cologne shows Bar Phat reduces hand pressure by up to 50%. 50% reduction of pressure for 4.5mm and 40% for 2.5mm thickness.
  • Clear shock absorbing gel pads fit road bar top and drops
  • New gel pad design can be trimmed and reused for different bars
  • Adds minimal thickness to the tops of the bar only not the entire diameter
  • Includes suede texture Roubaix tape (w/o gel backing) and bar plugs
  • Available in 2.5 or 4.5mm thickness
Paul_Smith
www.corridori.co.uk

A bike fitting by forum, knowing so little about you, isn't going to be accurate, but I'm 6'0" with a 32" trouser inside leg and I'm riding a 56 Roubaix and a 58 Allez, so I'd agree with Paul (which is good of me, he knows rather more about it :biggrin:) that a 58 Tarmac might be a bit small for you.

Yes, you can shove the saddle up, but the reach is based on the top-tube (crossbar) length and you can't change that (you can fit longer or shorter stems, longer/wider/deeper bars, but these are compromises - best to get the right size frame)

OP
OP
Wigsie

Wigsie

Nincompoop
I know, it is a good deal for the tarmac but deep down I think it will be the 61cm Allez Elite I will go for. Just have to find a nice shop! The guy in the local spesh dealer is a bit of a div and I would rather give my money to people that live and breath the sport!

Top Bottom