Less Popular Brands with Good New Bikes?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

umerfarhan

Hi All, I am looking to buy my first bike for the goal of losing weight.

To be honest the good popular brands have really expensive bikes so I was going through some forums and couple of options are:

1. Buy a used really good brand bike.
2. Get a pricier bike from a less popular/big brands.

I have really little knowledge about bikes so not sure how to evaluate a good used bike.

My budget is around $600-$700. Please advise of some options for me. Thanks

alicat

Legendary Member
Hi @umerfarhan and welcome to the forum. Could you say where you are based and what sort of riding you are looking to do?

You're mentioning dollars so I'm guessing you aren't in the UK where this forum is based. If you have Decathlon or a local equivalent, that would be a good place to start. I wouldn't go used if you don't know what you are looking for.

And don't go for used since you aren't confident assessing the condition of a bike.

vickster

Legendary Member
Hi @umerfarhan and welcome to the forum. Could you say where you are based and what sort of riding you are looking to do?

You're mentioning dollars so I'm guessing you aren't in the UK where this forum is based. If you have Decathlon or a local equivalent, that would be a good place to start. I wouldn't go used if you don't know what you are looking for.

And don't go for used since you aren't confident assessing the condition of a bike.

Could go for used that is being sold by a bike shop as a halfway house if such a thing exists near the OP. Still be cheaper than used and some peace of mind that it’s not a lemon

OP
OP
U

umerfarhan

Hi, I am in the US. Are you aware of the Decathlon equivalent in US?

I am mostly going to be riding it on roads and pavements, and sometimes off roads but definitely not mountain biking. So I was considering a hybrid.
Any recommendations?

alicat

Legendary Member
It seems that Decathlon do sell online in the US. You could do worse than something like the Riverside 100 at $349.

If you want more choice, I'd start doing some Googling for bike charities in your area. I'd imagine there are some social enterprises focussing on getting people more active via cycling and they may be able to give you some pointers. There's probably a thrift/goodwill store that might have something to get you going. If the bike feels genuinely comfortable, that's good enough to get you started. Don't overthink it, just get on something comfy and start pedalling.

Good luck.

Gwylan

Veteran
Hi, I am in the US. Are you aware of the Decathlon equivalent in US?

I am mostly going to be riding it on roads and pavements, and sometimes off roads but definitely not mountain biking. So I was considering a hybrid.
Any recommendations?

Get some guidance on the size and design to suit you.
Buy your first bike and then carefully select your keeper.

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
Do your homework, bide your time and buy used - if prices over there are anything like over here, there are potentially huge savings to be made.

While cycling / aerobic exercise are great for so many aspects of physical and mental health, if you're chasing weight loss you'll see by far the most success through controlling diet.. I've found low-carb to be very good in this regard.

Good luck :smile:

cycling_eejit

Über Member
I think https://www.rei.com is kind of a US version of Decathlon.
Maybe something like this would be a decent place to start - Co-op Cycles CTY 1.1 Step-Through Bike

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
While cycling / aerobic exercise are great for so many aspects of physical and mental health, if you're chasing weight loss you'll see by far the most success through controlling diet.. I've found low-carb to be very good in this regard.

This is so true ime.

Cycling is really good for you, but as a primary weight loss method, the miles ridden vs blubber lost ratio is extremely high - sadly!

Gillstay

Über Member
Two points. Firstly if you buy second hand you often get extra's like this one with virtualy free rack, computer, mudguards and pump.
That is a substantial saving. And they are fitted for you .

If you don.t like it or after a short time you can often resell it for the same money, unlike a new one.
IMG_20230525_170131179.jpg

Kingfisher101

Über Member
Have a look on Craigslist, small ads and bike recycling places near you. Also ask on local cycling clubs facebook pages if anyone has anything suitable. I've sold a bike before from someone just asking for a bike.

Top Bottom