Lessons learned from doing LEJOG

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dodgy

I think a longish tour during a pandemic warrants a certain obsessive level of planning.
I'm more of a ride out from breakfast then see how I feel then book ahead for the next B&B kind of person, which wouldn't work right now, hence no touring.

Congrats on your tour, especially in current climate/conditions!

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Flexibility is fine if you have the freedom (maybe retired with reduced commitments?) but if you have a deadline such as limited time windows due to employment or family duties then some level of itinerary is essential for a successful trip.

Not everyone wants to plan in depth, some may find it removes some of the adventure and enjoyment, and I get that, BUT in our case with fixed accommodation and hence fixed daily distances, our levels of fitness and the stipulation that this was a one attempt trip so completion was not optional. The only way to achieve this was the level of forward planning we carried out to minimise failure risks.

I can equally see the appeal of setting off with an unlimited time limit and seeing where the wind takes you :okay:

dodgy

Flexibility is fine if you have the freedom (maybe retired with reduced commitments?) but if you have a deadline such as limited time windows due to employment or family duties then some level of itinerary is essential for a successful trip.

Not everyone wants to plan in depth, some may find it removes some of the adventure and enjoyment, and I get that, BUT in our case with fixed accommodation and hence fixed daily distances, our levels of fitness and the stipulation that this was a one attempt trip so completion was not optional. The only way to achieve this was the level of forward planning we carried out to minimise failure risks.

I can equally see the appeal of setting off with an unlimited time limit and seeing where the wind takes you :okay:

Yerriknow, in case I wasn't crystal clear, your approach made perfect sense. Sorry if I didn't make it any clearer! :okay:

Morning faffing around was the worst bit of my touring. I managed to get a grip eventually. Those intrepid round the world record holders all emphasize a quick start with mininal faff to maximise cycling time.
I found the answer was
Get into a routine
Pack the same way every day.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy

Like I said depends on your preferences. Flexibility is not just something for those with unlimited time. You chose what suits your temperaments. Not because it’s the only way to succeed at an 11 day LEJOG. But because it suited your needs for success.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Re planning, we didn't go as far as planning coffee or lunch locations. This was in June and places were generally quite open so no need. Coffee was at the first likely place after we had passed 40km for the day. Lunch was ... er ... at lunchtime and we generally had a town earmarked for that. All overnights were booked, and distances were kept such that we had plenty of reserve time for dealing with unexpected problems.

That said, I wasn't doing the planning, my friend was - it was his LEJoG, I was just along for (some of) the ride. If I had been doing it alone I wouldn't have bothered with the coffee stops would have relied more on a packed lunch/picnic approach so I wasn't reliant on places being open, other than for water. But that's just me.

But as @Ming the Merciless says, it's entirely a personal thing. Some people are happy to take things as they come and trust to providence, others find this a stressful approach and like the comfort of having things planned in advance. Personally I tend towards the latter. But vive la difference.

Last edited:
OP
OP
nickyboy

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
Re planning, we didn't go as far as planning coffee or lunch locations. This was in June and places were generally quite open so no need. Coffee was at the first likely place after we had passed 40km for the day. Lunch was ... er ... at lunchtime and we generally had a town earmarked for that. All overnights were booked, and distances were kept such that we had plenty of reserve time for dealing with unexpected problems.

That said, I wasn't doing the planning, my friend was - it was his LEJoG, I was just along for (some of) the ride. If I had been doing it alone I wouldn't have bothered with the coffee stops would have relied more on a packed lunch/picnic approach so I wasn't reliant on places being open, other than for water. But that's just me.

But as @Ming the Merciless says, it's entirely a personal thing. Some people are happy to take things as they come and trust to providence, others find this a stressful approach and like the comfort of having things planned in advance. Personally I tend towards the latter. But vive la difference.
I was the LEJOG organiser and it's a tricky balance between not planning enough and planning too much. We decided that because of Covid (a lot of Cafes were closed, particularly in Cornwall and Devon) and because we tried hard not to route through towns where possible we would plan our daytime stops. I think it worked well. We had some spectacularly good stops that we would never have had if we had just followed our noses.

mikeIow

Guru
sounds great - well done all.
Only comment I'd make (tho I haven't done lejog and won't be doing) is that pre-planning cafe stops possibly a bit excessive?
I'd firmly agree....cafe's were like the Harry Potter room of requirement....just as I was gasping for a break, one would appear!
Happened early on with the Pit Stop Cafe, near Bridgwater, but my fave was on the Trans Pennine trail....had a pal with me: we thought we might have to drop down off the trail, then BOOM: the Magic Wood Cafe appeared, as if by magic!

That's half the fun of it! Always have some emergency rations....as I found early on: wife stayed with me for a few days (right up to the point of proper disaster!), but one planned cafe was closed, & I just pedalled on with snacks.....

Attachments

• 1629127155981.png
    1629127155981.png
    610.4 KB · Views: 10
  • Magic Wood Cafe 2.jpg
    Magic Wood Cafe 2.jpg
    405 KB · Views: 10
Top Bottom