Lessons learned

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Nigeyy

Legendary Member
I know many people here probably know not to do some of these things, but I thought I'd share some of my learning experiences from my recent tour. I flew British Airways transatlantic, with BA taking my bike for free. The caveat? I didn't have a hard shell case, so put my bike into a bike bag. Because I wasn't convinced a bike bag is that protective (always previously used cardboad boxes that bikes come in from a bike shop) I took my secondary touring bike -a bike frame I picked up from a scrapyard for a couple of quid that has been built up by me. Call me vain, but I couldn't bear the thought of my very best touring bike being dinged or worse.

I used plenty of old rags and some packing tape as ties, and I did remove the rear derailleur, wrapped some old cloth around it and taped it to the middle of the rear triangle out of the way. I reinforced the front and rear dropout with wood and taped the pieces of wood in place. Wheels went in pockets either side of the frame, the quill stem and handlebars were removed as one piece and tied to the side of the frame, the seatpost was at its lowest position with the saddle. Pedals were removed and then loosely screwed in the inboard side of the crank arms. Anything that could be reattached to the bike was (e.g. all bolts that kept the rack attached were screwed firmly -but not tightly -in place -with the rack resting on the top of the top tube).

But I think here is where I made a mistake; I put the frame right side up in the bag -with the chainring at the bottom. Both on the flight to the UK and on the flight to the USA the large and middle chainrings got bent -less so on the way to the UK, more so on the way back -to the point it looks like I might have to get new chainrings or a new crank, even after a concerted effort to bend the chainrings back.

Oh well, but on reflection it might have been better to either have put the frame in upside down with the chainrings close to the handle, or else protected the chainrings somehow -you live and learn. I hope this post might save someone the aggravation.

Otherwise, the bike packing was perfect.

Trillian

would it be possible to remove the outer chainring and fit an mountain bike DH bash guard, tis a solid metal ring to stop the other rings being bent by rocks etc

OP
OP
Nigeyy

Nigeyy

Legendary Member
Yes, a good solution -the only thing is that it would mean buying or fabricating one for your specific crank, plus you have a bit more messing around to do at the other end.

I'm thinking in future I'll simply tape into place a block of wood to the bottom bracket that will extend past the biggest chainring with the crank arms in a quarter to three position -and thinking about it, I'm not sure putting it in upside down might be a good idea -you never know, the top tube could end up getting dented.

Trillian said:
would it be possible to remove the outer chainring and fit an mountain bike DH bash guard, tis a solid metal ring to stop the other rings being bent by rocks etc

Bigtallfatbloke

Thgat is appalling, what are british airways doing about it for you? Bugger all I'll bet...b'stards...
..I had similar issues with Ryan air on the outbound trip to germany, the bike did not arrive on the same plane and when it did (some 6 hours later) they had snapped my chain somehow and bent the de railer...Ryan air of course couldnt give a f***

..how as the rest of the tour?

xilios

Veteran
I had this done to my bike while flying with Brussels air from Athens to Brussels. (The bike was only wraped with bubble wrap, I think next time I will try a bike box) After checking out the bike at the LBS the bill came out to +/-450 euros. I got the bike fixed without any problems.
brokenbike1.jpg

OP
OP
Nigeyy

Nigeyy

Legendary Member
I'm not complaining about British Airways (though I wish they'd take cardboard bike boxes instead of hard shells and bike bags -don't see the logic in that one). In some ways, I expected to get some damage and tried to pack accordingly -and well, I took the backup tourer as well. Figure in the fact they are one of the airlines that don't charge extra to carry bikes across the atlantic as well as offering the best ticket price, and I don't feel too bad about it. If it was in a hardshell case or if the frame was bent, or if the crank was really expensive, I'd probably try to do something.

The crank was a Nashbar special (an online retailer here known for cheap prices) and I paid $25 for it -about 14 quid -so I've got to be honest, it's probably cheaper for me to just get another one rather than phone up and waste my time.

Anyway, I did a tour of the Yorkshire Dales -mostly sticking to the cycleway with the exception of the easterly portion of it as we did a dog leg over to Thirsk from Wensley, and then from Thirsk via Ripon and Grassington back to the cycleway. It was lovely, though I'm now convinced of two things:

i. next time I do the Yorkshire Dales cycleway, I don't want to do it fully loaded; I pushed the bike uphill too many times this tour.
ii. the next time I tour, I want somewhere a little flatter (especially if I'm fully loaded!)

I'm working on a CGOAB journal and will finish it one day.
Bigtallfatbloke said:
Thgat is appalling, what are british airways doing about it for you? Bugger all I'll bet...b'stards...
..I had similar issues with Ryan air on the outbound trip to germany, the bike did not arrive on the same plane and when it did (some 6 hours later) they had snapped my chain somehow and bent the de railer...Ryan air of course couldnt give a f***

..how as the rest of the tour?

Bigtallfatbloke

..it's knob baggage handlers...they are the white van man of the aviation industry...think it's funny to put the boot in a bike ...

CycleTourer

Veteran
xilios said:
I had this done to my bike while flying with Brussels air from Athens to Brussels. (The bike was only wraped with bubble wrap, I think next time I will try a bike box) After checking out the bike at the LBS the bill came out to +/-450 euros. I got the bike fixed without any problems.

Xilios - Yikes that's awful did you get any compensation out of the airline for that one? and was it on the outward journey or coming back? It must have been a sod to sort out if it was on the outward journey!

Whether you box it, bag it or wrap it in a plastic bag it seems to be a lottery as to whether it gets damaged or not and it is down to the baggage handlers at the end of the day.

Nigeyy - I think your idea of a piece of wood to support the chain rings is a good idea. Perhaps something like a piece of 9mm multi-plywood with a yoke cut out to fit around the crank might do the job.

xilios

Veteran
CycleTourer said:
Xilios - Yikes that's awful did you get any compensation out of the airline for that one? and was it on the outward journey or coming back? It must have been a sod to sort out if it was on the outward journey!

quote]

It took five weeks but Brussels air finally paid 450 euros for the repairs. We also have travel insurance if there were any problems.
The damage was made after our tour and our daughter was waiting with a van to pic us up at Brussels airport, so thankfully it worked out OK.

ataction

Just back from France rear mech bent snapped carbon frame. Write off. I have bike on home insurance do you think it is covered?

Chainring is something I worried about from the first time i ever flew - I have always used a soft bag with lotsa pipe lagging and selective carboard - going out I tie a very thick leather glove to the bottom of the ring and put the cranks in a horizontal position, remove rear derailler and tie up in frame - coming back I break the chain (it pretty much needs replacement by then) and remove the crank

Ive been lucky I have flown with bike over 20 times and never had a problem

adrianlondon

I took my bike on a BA flight from Heathrow to Stuttgart. At the airport all I did was turn the handlebars 90 degrees and remove the pedals. No box, no cover, no bag. No charge.

BA took it without question and it was wheeled to me in Stuttgart even before my luggage arrived. No damage at all.

I came back by train (TGV to Paris, Eurostar to London) and apart from the cost (mainly the Eurostar bit) there was no issue.

Top Bottom