Lets report the lot of 'em - Controlled rant

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gambatte

Middle of the pack...
Pretty good commute home this evening. Then about a mile from home, just as a nice downhill starts, theres a traffic island. I'm not quite in primary, but a strong secondary.

Car starts to pass, blasts his horn, drastically cuts infront of me whilst slowing to allow his mate in the rear seat to lean out yelling and waving his obligatory baseball hat, trying to hit me with it.

So seeing as a less experienced rider could have been into the kerb and doing a 'Superman' over the bars. I thought about it. I've got this guys reg. I'm about 500yds from the local police station (Maltby).

In the reception, the sign says ring bell once. So I do, ring it a couple more times over the next 15mins. After this 15mins I ring the local policew number (Sheffield) and confirm Maltby is actually manned station. Its starting to get the feel of 'Precinct 13'. They say 'Stay there and we'll get someone down to you'.

So 20mins later, I'm heading away from the station. Not happy, not seen anyone. I've since reported it by phone and got an incident number. Guess what? They want me to make an appointment to go into Maltby station. "When would be good for you?", "About an hour ago!"

You know what, its great organisation (NOT) like this that generally discourages people from actually reporting stuff in the first place.

Not now tho. I'm going to make sure that I don't suffer from the 'whats the point' attitude to these car driving prats. Not the day to day 'oops thats a bit close' but these true prats. So long as I've got the reg I'm reporting every last one. Maybe when the 'reported' figures go up the police'll stop concentrating on speeding fines:angry:;):biggrin:!;)

Maz

Guru
I feel sorry for you, Gambatte. These cagers are just selfish scum. I occasionally come across them, too ;).
Hope you get a result with reporting it.

I must admit, I thought you said 'baseball bat', when I first read your text.

OP
OP
G

gambatte

Middle of the pack...
The last one I actually reported was an egg thrower. I was told he was pleading guilty to dangerous driving

I said long ago that if we had a week when we reported all these pricks the police would have to take notice, and we would ahve the evidence to show the kind of issues. Perhaps a thread in Campaigning?

bonj2

I agree, you might aswell report it if nothing else to up the statistics. When I had my pump and saddle bag stolen I wasn't going to claim on the insurance and I knew full well the police weren't going to look for the thieves but I still reported it to add one to the unsolved crimes list.

the reluctant cyclist

Über Member
This sort of thing really pees me off. I wish that there could be some adverts on the tv like the "think once think twice think bike" ones years ago that could inform drivers of a/cyclists right to be on the road b/how dangerous it is to even jokingly shout at them/chuck things etc and c/how they have a right to be there.

If the government really want everyone to start commuting by bike then this would be a better incentive than some - i.e congestion charge etc etc!

Isn't there some rich businessman/cyclist that could put up the money for just such a campaign?!

bianco

Hey, I live 5 minutes away.

I think that campaign idea is a good one, can you imagine if there become more reports of cyclist abuse than there are of gbh etc..

They'd have to do something then.

OP
OP
G

gambatte

Middle of the pack...
bianco said:
Hey, I live 5 minutes away.

?? which direction??

bonj2

gambatte said:
Another sick fantasy Bonj?:blush::o)

she is notorious for being thrown eggs at. She had an egg thrown at her while attending court to give evidence against someone who was accused of also throwing an egg at her.

Top Bottom