Lets see your Viking!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
Nice colour.

My Viking Severn Valley has thrown up a bit of a bit of a puzzle. Yesterday whilst I was lifting my bike out of my garage I caught sight of what looked like some letters left in the glue from a damaged seat tube sticker. It was only when my bike was out in the open that I discovered that the letters didn't belong to the sticker on the frame. There must have been a previous sticker placed there originally and it was replaced by a later design. I have only managed to find a few letters so far but they don't seem to correspond to any that I have seen on Viking cycles so far.

IMGP4500.JPG

writing.JPG

Here are my 2 Vikings. The blue Severn Valley has a Harry Quinn connection and has VQ stamped into the bottom bracket next to the frame number. It has a Reynolds

View attachment 664603

View attachment 664606 531 double butted frame and forks, Campagnolo brakes , rear mech, cranks, BB, headset, hubs, Mavic rims and handlebars. It came with Weinmann brake levers which I have replaced with Campagnolo ones. It now stops.

I have the next serial no. VQ5006 which my dad owned from new and he also confirmed that it was built by Harry Quinn. Unfortunately it has replacement forks as the originals were damaged in a racing accident. Will post some pictures shortly. It is fully Campagnolo fitted and will be going up for sale shortly.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
I have the next serial no. VQ5006 which my dad owned from new and he also confirmed that it was built by Harry Quinn. Unfortunately it has replacement forks as the originals were damaged in a racing accident. Will post some pictures shortly. It is fully Campagnolo fitted and will be going up for sale shortly.

Welcome , and that is a tease if ever there was we need pictures please

:welcome:
Thanks for the confirmation! Some people don't believe that it was made by Harry Quinn. Is yours a Severn Valley as they also made a Superlite?
It would be interesting to see your HQ Viking.

Last edited:

Stevemwilliams

Look forward to seeing the pictures :smile:

:welcome:
Thanks for the confirmation! Some people don't believe that it was made by Harry Quinn. Is yours a Severn Valley as they also made a Superlite?
It would be interesting to see your HQ Viking.

I'll take some pictures in morning. My dad owned this from new and raced it in Holland and occasionally England and confirms it was built by Harry Quinn. In the meantime an old picture of it being raced in Chesterfield Ness Couriers team colours.

Attachments

• Ronde van Kockengen Holland (002).jpg
    Ronde van Kockengen Holland (002).jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 5
I am pleased to share some detail of my dad's Viking race bike which he owned from new. My dad grew up in Chesterfield where he raced in late 60's as an amateur before moving to North Wales (working in Capenhurst) and he represented Wales at the 1970 commonwealth games and won a bronze medal in tandem sprint. In 1972 we moved to Holland where he continued to race locally and in Belgium. It was made by Harry Quinn according to him, which is supported by the serial number of VQ5006 with the trademark Q made from an O and 1, size is 54cm. It is fully fitted out with Campagnolo everything including rear dropouts and cinelli handle bars. Unfortunately he "upgraded" the brake levers and it has a non original fork due to a racing accident. I have old school pedals and clips to go with it and it will be going up for sale shortly. It needs new tubes, other than that it is ready to ride as far as I can tell and I will consider sensible offers before putting it up for sale on ebay.

Attachments

• IMG_1999.jpg
    IMG_1999.jpg
    446.6 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_1984.jpg
    IMG_1984.jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_1985.jpg
    IMG_1985.jpg
    86.9 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_1986.jpg
    IMG_1986.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_1987.jpg
    IMG_1987.jpg
    143.1 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_1988.jpg
    IMG_1988.jpg
    120.8 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_1989.jpg
    IMG_1989.jpg
    275.8 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_1990.jpg
    IMG_1990.jpg
    254.9 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_1992.jpg
    IMG_1992.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_1993.jpg
    IMG_1993.jpg
    184.1 KB · Views: 7
I am pleased to share some detail of my dad's Viking race bike which he owned from new. My dad grew up in Chesterfield where he raced in late 60's as an amateur before moving to North Wales (working in Capenhurst) and he represented Wales at the 1970 commonwealth games and won a bronze medal in tandem sprint. In 1972 we moved to Holland where he continued to race locally and in Belgium. It was made by Harry Quinn according to him, which is supported by the serial number of VQ5006 with the trademark Q made from an O and 1, size is 54cm. It is fully fitted out with Campagnolo everything including rear dropouts and cinelli handle bars. Unfortunately he "upgraded" the brake levers and it has a non original fork due to a racing accident. I have old school pedals and clips to go with it and it will be going up for sale shortly. It needs new tubes, other than that it is ready to ride as far as I can tell and I will consider sensible offers before putting it up for sale on ebay.

Your bike is in a better condition than mine. Mine also had non original brake levers. I swapped them back to Campagnolo as the Weinmanns wouldn't stop. The rims have also been changed to fit tyres with inner tubes.

Top Bottom