Let's Talk Bicycle Mechanical Ability Here

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
M

MrBeanz

I enjoy fixing and fiddling with things, it calms my autism down and improves my headspace, in fact I get quite anxious if I don't get to do it. That said, I have two small children so any bike work has to be done between the hours of ten and midnight after everyone has gone to bed. This means I don't have the time for stuff like wheelbuilding at the moment. Trust me, I'd like nothing more than a few hours in a quiet workshop truing up wheels and getting them perfect but I just don't have the time.

I do have a very good LBS run by some friends who I trust to do a good and fair job so that's not an issue.

I realize it takes time to build wheels when you start learning. But give it a chance when the time is right. After you get the hang of it, it is not so time consuming.

I build a wheel in about an hour. I call it quits then come back the next day to make fine adjustments for maybe another 30 minutes.

When the kids grow up, give it a whirl!

Venod

Eh up
I have never taken a bike to shop for maintenance or anything else, I did once have a pair of wheels built, he was the wheelbuilder at the local LBS who built wheels for some top riders he was also a fellow club member, he did a great job, I build my own usually, I have also bought some ready built bargains.
Untill I got older I did all my own car maintenance as well, financial necessity being one reason.
I built my first bike aged about 12/13 with the help of dad, who didn't own a car but him and mum had bikes for transport for as long as I can remember.
I have worked in engineering all my life repairing all sorts of things, a bicycle is not a problem to me and I still enjoy the tinkering.

Last edited:

winjim

Smash the cistern
I realize it takes time to build wheels when you start learning. But give it a chance when the time is right. After you get the hang of it, it is not so time consuming.

I build a wheel in about an hour. I call it quits then come back the next day to make fine adjustments for maybe another 30 minutes.

When the kids grow up, give it a whirl!
I know how build a wheel, thanks.

OP
OP
M

MrBeanz

Ooh ooh just a minute... I can pump the tyres up too even if I haven’t changed the inner tube :notworthy: and I can even put the wheel back on if I have :notworthy::notworthy:

You would be surprised at how many can't put the wheel back on easily.

I did a century with a dude who rode several double centuries. We were on a fast century ride with a few other guys. He punctured, tried to patch his wheel, had a hard time remounting it only to find he screwed the patch job.

He was literally starting to cry :wacko: so I took the wheel from him, patched it then mounted it back on the bike for him!

A current ride partner did some really weird stuff trying to mount a tire. I had to take it from him too or we'd still be there a year later.

Yes, these guys were happy to let me do the job for them. Some get really flustered under pressure. :crazy:

vickster

Legendary Member
You would be surprised at how many can't put the wheel back on easily.

I did a century with a dude who rode several double centuries. We were on a fast century ride with a few other guys. He punctured, tried to patch his wheel, had a hard time remounting it only to find he screwed the patch job.

He was literally starting to cry :wacko: so I took the wheel from him, patched it then mounted it back on the bike for him!

A current ride partner did some really weird stuff trying to mount a tire. I had to take it from him too or we'd still be there a year later.

Yes, these guys were happy to let me do the job for them. Some get really flustered under pressure. :crazy:
I didn’t say it’s easy...I’m a very talented woman ;)

Why did the dude need to patch his wheel? Do you mean the tube?

OP
OP
M

MrBeanz

I didn’t say it’s easy...I’m a very talented woman ;)

Why did the dude need to patch his wheel? Do you mean the tube?

The tube is part of the wheel. :whistle:

000wheel.JPG

OP
OP
M

MrBeanz

10.5 bikes in my stable, so going to a bike shop is not economic. Do everything myself, including wheel builds, suspension and dropper post servicing and brake fluid changes.

On of the main reasons I started doing my own. At one time we had 11 bikes including 2 tandems. Ended up downsizing to 7 though it was hard to part with the chosen few.

Globalti

Legendary Member
I do all my own maintenance and re-rimming of wheels. I just wouldn't trust a distracted kid in a shop to do it right.

Anybody who's interested in this ought to read Robert M Pirsig's book Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance. Or read the maintenance bits and skip the zen bits. It's really a book about quality and it talks about all these maintenance things.

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

MrBeanz

I would like to learn to build wheels. I have a logical and neat mind so I think I could enjoy it. Although the maths of knowing what spoke length/hub size/rim size just seems like witchcraft to me.

I like my Zwinn books. Can anyone recommend a wheel building book for men? ;)

There are spoke calculators all over the internet. Also most online suppliers I have used will give you the correct spoke length and have a calculator.

Many times in the mechanic forums, posters are more than willing to share their calculator sources.

Top Bottom