Letter in the times (ID for cyclists)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PBancroft

The problem with visible identification on cycles is, I think, that people have some very f***ed up ideas about the rules of the road. I can imagine individual cyclists being targeted for perceived breaches.

I'm reminded of that differentpov chap from the Scooby Doo forum from a few months back. He wrote:-

Differentpov said:
I have been held up for 3 miles by 3 cyclists riding next to each other (3 abreast), and when i over took them at a place i saw fit and safe, they all gave the self-gratification artist sign, why does this happen, 2 abreast is illegal, but you all do it!

Now, of course I can't condone the 3 abreast thing, or holding someone up for three miles (really?) but seriously, how hard is it to grasp? The rules of the road, generally, are 'don't be a dick' but so many people seem to take them to mean 'get out of my way'

OP
OP
downfader

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
Kaipaith said:
The problem with visible identification on cycles is, I think, that people have some very f***ed up ideas about the rules of the road. I can imagine individual cyclists being targeted for perceived breaches.

I'm reminded of that differentpov chap from the Scooby Doo forum from a few months back. He wrote:-

Now, of course I can't condone the 3 abreast thing, or holding someone up for three miles (really?) but seriously, how hard is it to grasp? The rules of the road, generally, are 'don't be a dick' but so many people seem to take them to mean 'get out of my way'

I suppose thats a likelyhood. Though I do think the majority of these stories are made up by people with no lives (worse than us, hahaha!!)

PBancroft

downfader said:
I suppose thats a likelyhood. Though I do think the majority of these stories are made up by people with no lives (worse than us, hahaha!!)

Oh, I think its fairly obvious that the 3 abreast for 3 miles is complete bull larks. But there's a lot that cyclists do which is perfectly legal (like the two abreast thing) which some people think isn't.

Top Bottom