Leverington, Cambridgeshire

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Paul J

Hi all and what a fantastic forum. I really like the commuting guide:bravo:

Having just taking up riding a bike after 20 years from being in the saddle I am starting out slowly. Only riding about 3 miles a day but even that is hard going for me in the wind lol.

Looking forward to getting fit and reading up on everyones exploits :smile:

Paul

OP
OP
P

Paul J

Hi Paul - welcome, good to have you here. cambridgeshire - what a nice part of the world.....not too many hills

Thanks mate. Cambs is flat but living on the fens means the wind really wizzes but not quite the same as when I lived on the Isle of Lewis :sad:

rostlr

KateK

Hi Paul! I'm Cambridgeshire too (and new here)... there's nothing quite like inching your way across a fen into a headwind while beet lorries thunder past on the other side of the road to make you feel slow. When I started in October even ploughing tractors overtook me...

OP
OP
P

Paul J

Hi Paul! I'm Cambridgeshire too (and new here)... there's nothing quite like inching your way across a fen into a headwind while beet lorries thunder past on the other side of the road to make you feel slow. When I started in October even ploughing tractors overtook me...

Hi Kate,

I know the feeling as they scream passed, narrowly missing you while on the mobile phone. :cursing:

Vikeonabike

CC Neighbourhood Police Constable
Cambridgeshire is full of hills... you just have to look really, really hard to find them. Not much your end of the county though, but if you fancy some respite from the wind, here's my guide to them... http://velorichard.wordpress.com/2012/02/16/the-top-10-cambridgeshire-hill-routes/

Happy riding!
I know of two in quick succession in Peterborough.. A47 slip roads both of them!

KateK

Which is worse though.. the scarily close ones that give you a momentary respite from the wind or the ones going the other way that send a rocketing gust sideways?

Welcome Paul, I have actually been to Leverington. I always think Cambs should be split into two halves as far as hills go, north and south of the A14. Last weekend I rode with Cambridge CC on their 75 mile Reliability Ride and that included 900m of climbing, so definitely not flat. Keep at it and hopefully you will be doing forum rides before too long.

Vikeonabike

CC Neighbourhood Police Constable
Pilsgate Hill from Stamford (inside Cambridgeshire) Climbs 140 feet in just under a mile... Actually the North East corner of Cambridgeshire above Peterborough isn't quite as level as I first thought!

Top Bottom