LG internet connection & Netflix

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

macp

Guru
Looking for some advice folks

I have a fairly new LG smart TV linked to my router via a TP Link AV500 powerline adapter.Im on BT infinity fibre so getting decent speeds.I can watch BBC iplayer or youtube or wuaki without problem but when I watch netflix at some point it will buffer to 25% then stop and eventually say something like we cant detect an internet connection.I always check and my connection is always good.I can watch Netflix on my PC over wifi with no issues whatsoever even upstairs.So what is going on and can I fix it ?

Venod

Eh up
I don't have a LG so can't help but it seems your not the only one with problems, the problems I have with a Samsung is the amount of updating it does to the smart hub, so its not available when you want it.

https://www.cnet.com/forums/discussions/netflix-streaming-problem-on-lg-smart-tv-584143/

I have a fairly new LG smart TV linked to my router via a TP Link AV500 powerline adapter.Im on BT infinity fibre so getting decent speeds.I can watch BBC iplayer or youtube or wuaki without problem but when I watch netflix at some point it will buffer to 25% then stop and eventually say something like we cant detect an internet connection.I always check and my connection is always good.I can watch Netflix on my PC over wifi with no issues whatsoever even upstairs.So what is going on and can I fix it ?
Linked to powerline how? Wifi or Ethernet?

Can you link to powerline via wifi on a smartphone and run a download speed test (plenty of free apps to do this)? You need to ensure it is the powerline you're connected to and not the router directly.

It may be the speed you're getting from the powerline is much slower than the router is getting? Powerlines can be vulnerable to interference.

I don't know about the TV/box you've got but BT vision from an Infinity router will not work with 'powerline adaptors' (they're not 'fast' enough) I just used a 20m long 'Cat 5e' cable.................sorted. :becool:
We have Sky q and fibre. Got 35mb from router and 7mb on powerline. Got a booster from sky now 32mb at back of the house so ditched the powerline. Was worried about the booster halving the bandwidth but sky q apparently uses this mesh of frequencies so no loss. It's great. Powerline in box in loft now!

sight-pin

Veteran

I connected ours with an Ethernet cable and not had any problems with Netflix (New LG smart), using the standard Sky broadband package. Have you other things connected whilst viewing like ipads etc, could be the problem?

OP
OP
macp

macp

Guru
I connected ours with an Ethernet cable and not had any problems with Netflix (New LG smart), using the standard Sky broadband package. Have you other things connected whilst viewing like ipads etc, could be the problem?
Thanks but unfortunately connecting an ethernet cable direct from the router is not really an option without chipping out walls and re plastering.

OP
OP
macp

macp

Guru
We have Sky q and fibre. Got 35mb from router and 7mb on powerline. Got a booster from sky now 32mb at back of the house so ditched the powerline. Was worried about the booster halving the bandwidth but sky q apparently uses this mesh of frequencies so no loss. It's great. Powerline in box in loft now!
So your using a wifi booster ?
My TV is only about 10 or 12 feet from the router.

OP
OP
macp

macp

Guru
I don't know about the TV/box you've got but BT vision from an Infinity router will not work with 'powerline adaptors' (they're not 'fast' enough) I just used a 20m long 'Cat 5e' cable.................sorted. :becool:
Thanks I read that but the problem is concealing the cable.

OP
OP
macp

macp

Guru
Can you link to powerline via wifi on a smartphone and run a download speed test (plenty of free apps to do this)? You need to ensure it is the powerline you're connected to and not the router directly.

It may be the speed you're getting from the powerline is much slower than the router is getting? Powerlines can be vulnerable to interference.
I plugged the ethernet cable from the back of the TV into my laptop so it was still running through the adapter and got 51.45mbps and 9.45 upload

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Thanks I read that but the problem is concealing the cable.
Mine runs under the carpet. I routed it just inside the 'gripper strip' then covered it with duct tape so that it just comes to the edge of the underlay (between the underlay edge and the start of the gripper strip)

the_mikey

Legendary Member
'Internet over the power line' is a really horrible way to connect your devices, they are vulnerable to interference and also consider that things in your own home can also add to this interference or diminish the signal, sometimes intermittently as things are switched in and out of the circuit.

Verify that the patch cables fit securely and maintain connectivity when manipulated, about 5% of my call outs at work are due to poorly built patch cables.

You could try taking the TV to the router to 'temporarily' try it there, verify that the problem exists there also.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
You an get 'flat' Cat5/6 cables that work a treat under carpets. Used two in our house to keep the kids happy. Our TV is WIFI to the Smart hub, but we also use powerline WIFI to the garage for my Zwift and internet in the summer house - it's fast enough for streaming !

Top Bottom