LGV incident, driver apologised

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
I often feel much of the bad feeling between road users can simply be avoided by the person who has made the mistake just to put their hands up and say sorry.

So there I was riding down Carlton Crescent towards London Road here in Southampton, a road I can do 30 down as theres a slight downhill slope. However imo its too bendy to do this, so I take it easy. There is one last side road to my right coming up, Carlton Place, and a van is in the process of turning - I'm far enough away to let him carry on but as I draw within 10-15 feet of 'Place an LGV driver pulled out on me. Cue hammering on the brakes (cyclocross cantis at that, so not the stopping power I would have liked)

"Woe there!!" I shout realising its a bit of a brown trouser moment. Driver and his passenger look over, horrified, and the driver puts his hand up and shouts "sorry" (hard to hear over the engine but the apology counts).

No harm done, no reason that I can think of to feel angry. I just thought after - its not that hard to say sorry, and you'll probably learn a little by admitting to a mistake (where a mistake has genuinely been made).

Have had another funny week tbh. This morning I suffered the frustration of sliding on rubbish and hitting my pedal on a concrete island whilst navigating a filter point (to trigger the lights over the ASL). Had one or two close overtakes that were just stupid, witness a Postie nearly get off'd by some complete muppet, and got a little frustrated with peds in the cyclelane this morning - who I overheard muttering something about winding up the cycling behind them, if my ears didnt deceive me. Gave them the evils and rode off.

Oh and lastly. Standing on a crossing waiting for the green man some chavollas rolled up and started mouthing off. I just blanked them, and their insults. Didnt even bother to turn around, but the guy standing next to me with his GF got a little worried. I think he thought they were targetting him.

This morning cycling towards Westminster Bridge a van passed close...when I looked in said van driver was looking at me and he wasn't blowing kisses.I think I just upset him by being there and being a cyclist.He looked like he wanted a bit of afters.I have the incident on film.

OP
OP
downfader

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
hackbike 666 said:
This morning cycling towards Westminster Bridge a van passed close...when I looked in said van driver was looking at me and he wasn't blowing kisses.I think I just upset him by being there and being a cyclist.He looked like he wanted a bit of afters.I have the incident on film.

It happens. I have video of a driver actually leaning over his child and pointing at the pavement, and mouthing off (from a few years back). People like that are just c*cks.

Marked van as well.I wonder really what is wrong with these people.Fine commute back though....Unfortunately bad overtake by cyclist as Mile End because he was in such a hurry.I think I should make up a clip of incident bad/good driving and there was a mixture of both...unfortunately its taking a week to get off of the card...it's 6gb for 2 hours commute

Tynan said:
what time was the bad overtake hack?

Somewhere near 10am...I have it on tape.I was getting to Waterloo early to pick up the new bike.:blush:

I was at big ben at 10am I remember the chimes going off so it must have been up to 5 or less minutes before.

manalog

Über Member
downfader said:
I often feel much of the bad feeling between road users can simply be avoided by the person who has made the mistake just to put their hands up and say sorry.

"Woe there!!" I shout realising its a bit of a brown trouser moment. Driver and his passenger look over, horrified, and the driver puts his hand up and shouts "sorry" (hard to hear over the engine but the apology counts).

No harm done, no reason that I can think of to feel angry. I just thought after - its not that hard to say sorry, and you'll probably learn a little by admitting to a mistake (where a mistake has genuinely been made).

QUOTE]

Same happened to me on Tuesday night, BMW pulled out on me, raised his hand and said sorry, no bad feelings. Why can't most Drivers just accept they made a mistake is beyond me.

Jezston

Über Member
Had two artics behind me and a friend on a thin stretch of the A52 last night. Both held back until the road widened, even though I've had lorries pass me on the same stretch fairly safely, then we both pulled left into the hatchings as the road widened to let them past and gave them a little thank you wave.

Got a not quite so little but still I guess friendly toot as they passed :sad:

ACS

Legendary Member
Entering a roundabout intending to take the first exit, car enters and I give way to my right, no indicators, no problem plenty of room take up a position behind her on the passengers side intending to filter into the cycle lane 10m ahead, enter cycle lane and push on. Draw level with the rear quarter of the car, driver then drifts into the cycle squeezing me into the kerb, voice a very stong opinion, ignored now braking hard and just managed to bunny hop onto the pavement as she scrapes her tyres along the kerb before speeding away without retaking the correct position in the road.

I am happy to say for me these instances are very few and far between but just a frustrating when they do happen. Sorry chaps did not get the plate to busy in survival mode.

Gains

It is such a shame its such a lottery as to wether youre going to get a good or bad/irate driver behind you isnt it?

Im new on my bike so i havnt had any rage incidents just yet but i always like to try and wave a thankyou to anyone that gives a wide berth to try and build up any "relationships" incase i see the same cars again on future commutes or whatever...sure il end up doing the complete opposite if anyone cuts me up though! :sad:

snailracer

Über Member
downfader said:
I often feel much of the bad feeling between road users can simply be avoided by the person who has made the mistake just to put their hands up and say sorry...

...its not that hard to say sorry, and you'll probably learn a little by admitting to a mistake (where a mistake has genuinely been made).

The thing is, every driver's insurance policy clearly insists that the driver must not admit fault (e.g. by saying sorry) even if he is clearly in the wrong in an incident. If the driver admits fault, he is breaching the terms of his policy and his insurance co. might reclaim costs from him. So, don't be too miffed if a driver doesn't say sorry.

ACS

Legendary Member
snailracer said:
The thing is, every driver's insurance policy clearly insists that the driver must not admit fault (e.g. by saying sorry) even if he is clearly in the wrong in an incident. If the driver admits fault, he is breaching the terms of his policy and his insurance co. might reclaim costs from him. So, don't be too miffed if a driver doesn't say sorry.

If there not a substantial difference admitting fault where there is no accident to admitting fault having been involved in an accident? One is being polite the other is an evasion of libility.

hackbike 666 said:

Why is it that in every thread where someone says something positive about motorist / cyclist interaction in the OP, it's always followed by a string of posts about how shoot everyone else's experience that day was? Why not just try and continue the good vibes, instead of trying to drag every thread down to how dangerous cycling is?:sad:

snailracer

Über Member
satans budgie said:
If there not a substantial difference admitting fault where there is no accident to admitting fault having been involved in an accident? One is being polite the other is an evasion of libility.
Yes, people should say sorry if an accident is avoided, but in the heat of the moment people might not even realize it's been avoided.

Top Bottom