LH M520 SPD Clipless Pedal Sqeak!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
As To Pedal squeaking I have something similar to this condition on my Lh M520 Shimano SPD clipless pedal in that per one revolution when putting any pressure on it it squeaks! at first I thought it was just lack of lubricant on the spring and moving section on the clip it self but that did ease it for few mile then its back, Next I tried tightening up the adjustment on the clip itself ;to no avail.
So time for fresh thinking, I changed to new shoe cleats which I thought would be bound to solve problem (thinking that the clip on the pedal had worn (even though only just over 4000 miles had been done with them This hasn’t solved it either so Now I think the clips on the pedal must be worn out, as I can stop it from squeaking by twisting my left foot slightly as I pedal which isn't quite as easy when tring to put any effort on the down pressure stroke So Any ideas any one

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
You can get a little pedal stripping tool for a couple of quid, strip it down clean & relube it. If it IS the pedal that ought to sort it. However, as I found recently, a creak on the non-drive side is often something to do with the BB. What BB do you have ?

It's a square taper shank type on a Triban T3 Oh and I have a pedal stripping tool which I admit I used it end of last year to clean and grease both pedals (though as you say I think its worth a go cleaning it) Perhaps I have an abnormal foot that is wearing the cleat one side or perhaps I'm being a bit over dramatic about this!

helston90

Eat, sleep, ride, repeat.
Mine squeak at the interface between the rubber on the bottom of the shoe and the small flat part of the pedal, (almost underneath the front of the cleat it's become shiny) they therefore don't squeak in the rain as there's some lube- a bit of Vaseline on the rubber will stop it for a while just don't walk on your best carpet in them.

Ah Helston I know what you mean about that Shiny bit I thought it was there purely from clipping in and out? Though I do see on mine that The front of the Cleat on the shoe seems to have worn consierably Thats the reason I changed them for new ones But I will try the vaseline tip for sure. As to having a best carpet Its non exsistant at the moment as been decorating though (thats the reson I've not been out much or on here) and only one fitted as yet
Thanks all will get on with the jobs tomorrow!

Shaun

Founder
Mine squeak at the interface between the rubber on the bottom of the shoe and the small flat part of the pedal, (almost underneath the front of the cleat it's become shiny) they therefore don't squeak in the rain as there's some lube- a bit of Vaseline on the rubber will stop it for a while just don't walk on your best carpet in them.

Had a similar issue (and fix) with my 520's - it was the left shoe/cleat and not the pedal. Unfortunately I made the slight mistake of adding too much oil to lubricate it and for the first few rides kept unclipping unceremoniously; it soon settled back down again, sans squeak. :thumbsup:

Top Bottom