Lidel bike stuff

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ChrisKH

Guru
I can recommend the bicycle tool kit. It has repaid itself since I bought it last year.

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
Im actually looking at the bike toolkit, looks like something I could keep at work for emergencies ! Also the bike pump for a fiver would also be handy.

Mortiroloboy

Grab the tool kit...Wiggle sell the exact same for £40. I've had mine a couple of years, I recently managed to snap one of the link guides on the chain splitter, but that was me being ham fisted. Excellent VFM:becool:

Iceniner

I was lucky enough to pick up a cycling jacket - very comfortable warm and looks just the business - only £8 !!! can i get woop woop?

buddha

Veteran
Just bought the track (floor) pump.
It seems robust enough (mainly steel/alu). Although I have my concerns about the plastic valve lock/release lever. The foot-hold is just a piece if bent wire, but works. And there is no means of adjusting how 'tight' it grips on to the valve - but that's being picky.
Also the pressure gauge is accurate enough for bike use.
Most important of all is that I got my rear tyre to 110 psi in less than 20 seconds, with minimal effort.

Verdict - bargin for a fiver!

They appeared to have lots of stock - apart from the advertised repair kit.

Spoked Wheels

Legendary Member
I just got the tool kit and a bottle..... looked at the wireless computer but not so sure about it :sad:

The tool kit looks pretty good for the price - it has a few tools that I did not have.... it will come handy when I prepare the frame for a re-spray :biggrin:

I was waiting for the pedals but I don't think they will come this year, I bought two sets last year and they are worth every penny...

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
Got the toolkit, glasses and a pump (maybe this will be the £5 pump that works, you never know :sad: )

I was in the Manchester store at 8:30, and stock looked plentiful then...

Iceniner

Popped into my local lidl, all but two of the tool kits had gone, so after i left there was just one! Only a couple of pumps and glasses were left! seems like vultures were there early :-D

yello

I plan to replace with better tools as I go along.

A wise course of action imho. I bought a Lidl tool kit several years ago and it is now decidedly battered. The chain tool went first, just broke under pressure, and the big spanners (for head set, pedals, etc) are getting chewed.

If you've got a lot of mechanicing to do, or have an expensive bike you don't want to knacker, I would probably would buy decent tools straight off. The Lidl set is good value but don't expect them to last forever.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Ah well, just bought the £2.99 68 piece repair bits - valve cores, bulbs for my 6v lamps, cheap chain quick link, allen keys, spanner, puncture kit, a few nuts and bolts, spare brake and gear cable etc. This is for leaving at the office - never know when it may help me or a colleague.

Picked up the track pump to leave at the office, but I've already got a good pump in my rucksack, a track pump at home and a Blackburn carbon airstick...... so I put it back - looked OK for the cash - just too tempting at those prices.

Nothing else left, but that was the Lidl on Oxford Road in Manchester by St Mary's - lot's of commuting students I think.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
fossyant said:
Picked up the track pump to leave at the office, but I've already got a good pump in my rucksack, a track pump at home and a Blackburn carbon airstick...... so I put it back - looked OK for the cash - just too tempting at those prices.
I nipped back today myself (our paths keep *nearly* crossing, Fossy :evil: )

The track pump (bought mine yesterday) is surprisingly good - handled 120psi easily (the stated maximum on the box) and I reckon would have gone higher (my Stelvio 25Cs wouldn't have though ;) ) It feels a sight more solid than the £13 one I bought (not from Lidl) that struggles to go above 60 too. I was close to buying another one for the office, but decided against it in the end (I have the road morph to use when I'm away from the garage, after all).

Nothing else left, but that was the Lidl on Oxford Road in Manchester by St Mary's - lot's of commuting students I think.

I counted about 7 or 8 track pumps, some mini pumps (not sure how good they are, they do have a pressure gauge), some of the sports glasses (which seem quite good, sturdier than the Aldi ones in any case) a set of panniers (albeit out of the packing and separated) and a few of the repair kits fossy mentions, as well as some of the saddlebag repair kits. They had a stack of base layer looking things as well, labelled as cycling shirts....

Top Bottom