Lido Luverliness!

Discussion in 'CycleChat Cafe' started by Fab Foodie, 8 Jun 2008.

1. Fab Foodie

Fab Foodie hanging-on in quiet desperation ...

One of the few noteworthy features of Abingdon is the fact that it has a small but beautifully formed Lido, right by the verdant banks of the Thames (which today was virtually in flood).
    Me Mrs FF and the lad went for a lovely swim in its cold waters (well, 24C apparently) during the mid-afternoon heat and I lazed about for an hour and a half in its cool clear waters. Fantastic.

We're lucky still to have it, the Council have threatened to close it many times. The fact is it could be a gold-mine with the right input. So this afternoon I wallowed and gave thanks.

The Lido is one of the British greats, those that remain (mostly in Art-deco/nouveau style) must be preserved and new-ones should be built. Nothing beats swimming outdoors in a cool pool on a hot day! ;):biggrin:

2. Yellow Fang

Yellow Fang Guru

Interesting. How big is it?

3. col

col Veteran

They closed our local one down,walton lido near barnard castle,that was a nice place.Not sure why?

4. OP
    OP
    Fab Foodie

What the pool? Or... after the cold water!

It's small really, though it says 40m it's an L shape with max 20m on each arm... 40m is stretching it a bit!
    Details:
    http://www.soll-leisure.co.uk/index.cfm?fuseaction=c_pages.showPage&pageID=16

Picture:
    http://www.whitehorsedc.gov.uk/Images/Abbey_Meadows_Pools_tcm4-1717.jpg

You can just see a canal boat moored on the river in the back-ground.

Theres also a water fountain park for kids next door which is free.

5. rich p

rich p ridiculous old lush

This is our nearest Lido. It's a lovely bit of architecture but I haven't been since the kids were young. I swim in the sea if I want a dip.

http://www.74simon.co.uk/lido.html

6. zimzum42

zimzum42 Legendary Member

I still can't believe they filled in the salt water outdoor pool in Scarborough!!!

Bastards.......

7. Jack the dog has a paddle in Ruislip Lido from time to time. In 1963, Cliff Richard was there for filming of Summer Holiday ;) and Kenneth More - the original Titanic...I'm old enough to remember:wacko:
    Water Ski jumping too - The Old Spice (who hasn't worn it?) Championships and there is a nice model railway around the perimeter, with Woody Bay station!
    All surrounded by four big woods, with a golf club on the side too.

8. rich p

rich p ridiculous old lush

Are you allowed four woods in your bag?

9. Down tiger! :biggrin: Anyway rich, that lido in your parts is a classic building I think - a 30's 'ship of the land' type of thing...

(Doh - I'm going to have a look at your link now I have seen it!!:wacko::biggrin::becool::becool::becool:)

10. walker

walker New Member

My Local Lido is'nt so local
    but this is it
    [​IMG]

11. gbb

gbb Legendary Member

12. OP
    OP
    Fab Foodie

The pics here convince me even more, that Lidos need our support.

Give 'em a swim this summer.

Rich P, theat Saltdean one is a classic beauty!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice