Life gets in the way of cycling

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
Moving from a house that was finished just over 2 years ago into one that needs a fair bit doing has had an impact, I find myself wanting to do long rides but time is limited.
My work around, well I commute by bike, and do all my shopping on the bike, sometimes over multiple rides.
I have managed to get SWMBO cycling to work (only cost me my Brompton...), and the tandem awaits for the Summer, fingers crossed.

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
Reading this, it makes me even more appreciative of Mrs NDs positive attitude towards my cycling.
That said, I'm also concious of the fact that me being out on the bike for 3 hours or more can swallow up a lot of our limited free time, so try not to take the Mickey.

I'm out for work at 6am, not home before 6pm (if I'm lucky) so riding during the week is a summer luxury and often when I get in from work I'm too tired to do much other than veg.

So life, and work in particular, does get in the way of my cycling. It could be worse.

Last edited:

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Some years went by and eventually my SO wore me down: "riding is a waste of time, doesn't bring in any money, so why do it?" she would say.
Imo there are underlining issues there, maybe she is overwhelmed by childcare and/or money issues?
Reading a novel, being on CC, watching a movie, heck, all we do for fun could be classified as not bringing money or being a waste of time.
You need to talk imo :smile:
So what I want to know, and it's not just cycling, but also applies to people going to the gym, swimmers, runners, or whatever hobby you have, how do you incorppinco it into your life? The only way I know how is to just do it and if anyone has a problem with it, then so be it.
Well, yes, I guess work is the main time consuming activity for most of us.
Guess one needs to find a balance between work and other stuff.

Two people feeling OK about themselves anyway, and then making a fair go of sharing a companionable life together, but still having their own identity, and lives outside of the relationship ,is the way to go if you ask me.
Yes, agreed in theory.
New love: I know that if I had a man that jumps on his bike at the first opportunity while I would like to do other stuff with him, I wouldn't be too happy.
Five years later: oh, you've got a 300 Audax on Sunday? Have a great time!
:laugh:

Slick

Guru
Imo there are underlining issues there, maybe she is overwhelmed by childcare and/or money issues?
Reading a novel, being on CC, watching a movie, heck, all we do for fun could be classified as not bringing money or being a waste of time.
You need to talk imo :smile:

Well, yes, I guess work is the main time consuming activity for most of us.
Guess one needs to find a balance between work and other stuff.

Yes, agreed in theory.
New love: I know that if I had a man that jumps on his bike at the first opportunity while I would like to do other stuff with him, I wouldn't be too happy.
Five years later: oh, you've got a 300 Audax on Sunday? Have a great time!
:laugh:

Lol:laugh:

lane

Veteran
Interesting thread. I have always cycled on and off. Before we had the children we used to belong to a walking group and most Sundays were spent doing quite long walks in the peak district. The when the kids came along I still needed exercise and a bit of a break; I couldn't spend all day walking in the peak district so went back to cycling which I could do from home and get a good workout in an hour or so. However inevitably I then found I wanted to do longer rides and wanted to train for them doing longer rides and life did get in the way sometimes. Not so much told I couldn't do them (sometimes I was) but wanting to do things with my kids. So its been a bit of a compromise; I have a job that takes up quite a lot of time, then family stuff, other stuff it all has to fit in. To keep medically fit I probably don't need to spend more than say three hours a week doing reasonably intensive exercise anything else is because i enjoy it. I have also encouraged my family to get involved in cycling so we can go out together - works better with some of them than others. I did a 100 miles ride with my son last summer and hope to do a 200k audax with him this year. Overall I think I have done a reasonable job of fitting it all in - my wife might disagree. I think I might also be a bit selfish which helps.

OP
OP
mustang1

mustang1

Guru
The thing is I allegedly do what ever I like, but so does SO, and I fully support her in that. Going out in evenings, a weekend break, with friends or family, sometimes pre-arranged and sometimes at short notice, all while complaining she has no time for herself. :smile:

So I wondered what she meant when she has no time to do her own things.but some of things a few of you mentioned has given me something to think about so thank you for that! I am the type to look at my own faults before those of others but may be I stopped doing that lately.

Soltydog

Legendary Member
A few years ago I cycled every day & a friend once asked 'do you work' my reply 'I manage to fit a bit of work in around my cycling' :laugh:
We live in an old house (approx 150years old) so needs a fair bit of keeping up with & sometimes Mrs SD gets annoyed that cycling takes priority over other jobs, but we are looking to move next year, so this year I need to crack on at home & get jobs done, so my cycling may be restricted this year, but I have been told once we move to a modern house I can cycle on all my days off ^_^

Soltydog

Legendary Member
I do not let cycling get in the way of spending time with my wife as I enjoy time with her more than time on the bike.
Usually I'd agree, but during 'that time of life' I preferred being out on my bike, or just out of the way :laugh: Things seem to have settled again now, so hopefully we are through the worst, although she still has the odd hot flush, but the big mood swings seem to have finished :blush:

screenman

Legendary Member
Usually I'd agree, but during 'that time of life' I preferred being out on my bike, or just out of the way :laugh: Things seem to have settled again now, so hopefully we are through the worst, although she still has the odd hot flush, but the big mood swings seem to have finished :blush:

We were very lucky there, it came and went without much fuss.

lane

Veteran
My dad trained as a cabinet maker and was always doing DIY. He bought an old house he was renovating. In his younger days before being a property owner he was a keen cyclist and still had a Raleigh Lenton. The only time I recall him coming out on a bike ride with me as a child his tyre exploded because it was perished his bike had had so little use. Luckily I don't take after him and can't do DIY.

Top Bottom