Lift the Ban On Cycles Without Reservations Even On Transpennine Express

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

classic33

Leg End Member
Done.

Arriva have no space for bikes on their new rolling stock, coupled with their No wheeled transport policy during peak hours & the Driver Only Operation will make it harder to get a bike on board.

Edited to add
The first 30 units to be used by Arriva in this area are now sat in Liverpool. Set to be in use by the end of this year.

Last edited:
I’m on the Southwestern route, they typically have 6 bike spaces in dedicated racks, and a few spaces in the ‘access’ carriages, these are first come first served, no reservation needed numbers. If I want to go further, I usually find I need to book / reserve a spot, so I’ve taken to shoving the bike in a special bike specific foldable bag, which straps to the top tube of the bike, once you reach where you’re going. That way it’s luggage, and not counted as a bike.

MikeG

Guru
Unfortunately the petition is ONLY regarding the trans-Pennine express, and not all trains.

classic33

Leg End Member
Unfortunately the petition is ONLY regarding the trans-Pennine express, and not all trains.
Some of the services have moved, with more to follow, from First to Northern(Arrriva).

Their new rolling stock for this area hasn't been fitted out for carrying bikes, so far. They're also looking to introduce a "No Wheeled Transport" service during the peak periods. Gone down well with certain groups.

They, Arriva & First, lost the same battle on their bus services locally. With Arriva not wanting to lose on their train services. TransPennine or otherwise.

tom73

Guru
it's a shame if Northern follow with the new trains that's how me and mrs 73 go off together when out on the bike. The last time we did the bike space was full of mum's and pram's. Plenty of room to sit down too. Happily staff spotted them and move them out the way for use. Saying that they only moved as fair as doorway so just block anyone wanting to pass. After all a pram folds up our bike's don't and it is a bike space.

Once on a train some women dumped her bag on a bloke's bike can't be sure if it was the 4 grand or 6 grand one he had. He was not best pleased we soon got it shifted and she just could not see why his bike (in the bike space )should be taking up a few flip up seat's. Plenty of normal one's which the guard quickly made clear to her.

tom73

Guru
I’m on the Southwestern route, they typically have 6 bike spaces in dedicated racks, and a few spaces in the ‘access’ carriages, these are first come first served, no reservation needed numbers. If I want to go further, I usually find I need to book / reserve a spot, so I’ve taken to shoving the bike in a special bike specific foldable bag, which straps to the top tube of the bike, once you reach where you’re going. That way it’s luggage, and not counted as a bike.

that's a neat idea what bag you using ?

Top Bottom