Lifting handlebars help please

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Old timer

Old timer

Über Member
Mac

After waiting 3 days for the extender to arrive from parker bolton and having paid for it I now get an E mail saying it`s out of stock:angry: another dealer off my Christmas list.

Anyway, I sourced this http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/product-Unbranded-Ahead-Stem-Raiser-for-1-1-8-Inch-to-1-1-8-Inch-3780.htm
plenty of height adjustment if needed (about 3") and I spoke to the guy on the phone who said that it was a decent bit of kit so I started the ordering all over again:sad:

Out of interest I did read one remark on the web(can`t remember where) who said that extenders can be dangerous, how do you feel about them?

Dave

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
I've not used an extender but they wouldn't be sold in the No's they are if it was too dangerous, I hope:biggrin:. I think there's a natural wariness over extending anything beyond the designed operating parameters. My instinct is that, if I need an extender, then the frame is too small or the forks steerer tube has been cut too short. But I've looked at some of the electric bikes and range of sizes doesn't seem to be as much as normal.

As I've said I found a standard flatbar very uncomfortable over any distance, lost feeling totally in some fingers. Personally I'd go with whatever stem adjustments work but also consider alternative bars. The North Roads I mentioned could work but, to me, it sounds like the butterfly bars would be a better fit. You can get the BBB multibar at Dotbike for £22:-

http://www.dotbike.com/ProductsP3578.aspx?utm_source=internal&utm_medium=5&utm_campaign=DPL

These are the ones I've gone back to, on all bikes, and I can report several thousand miles with no problems using them. Most setups with these have the bars angled towards the rider. I know getting bike setup correct helps as well but I've ridden nearly 170 miles on these, in one ride, with no hand problems.

OP
OP
Old timer

Old timer

Über Member
MacB said:
I've not used an extender but they wouldn't be sold in the No's they are if it was too dangerous, I hope:biggrin:. I think there's a natural wariness over extending anything beyond the designed operating parameters. My instinct is that, if I need an extender, then the frame is too small or the forks steerer tube has been cut too short. But I've looked at some of the electric bikes and range of sizes doesn't seem to be as much as normal.

As I've said I found a standard flatbar very uncomfortable over any distance, lost feeling totally in some fingers. Personally I'd go with whatever stem adjustments work but also consider alternative bars. The North Roads I mentioned could work but, to me, it sounds like the butterfly bars would be a better fit. You can get the BBB multibar at Dotbike for £22:-

http://www.dotbike.com/ProductsP3578.aspx?utm_source=internal&utm_medium=5&utm_campaign=DPL

These are the ones I've gone back to, on all bikes, and I can report several thousand miles with no problems using them. Most setups with these have the bars angled towards the rider. I know getting bike setup correct helps as well but I've ridden nearly 170 miles on these, in one ride, with no hand problems.

Thanks Mac
Yeh! if the manufacturers left the riser a few inches longer then we would have the option. I suppose at the end of the day it`s all about looks and giving the general public something that works straight out of the box so to speak.
Anyway! like you I`m pretty sure that a decent extender from a reputable dealer should be fine. If the fit was a bit loose and needed shimming then that might be a different story.

Looking at the bars you linked to. This lift is required for my E bike that includes a throttle on the R/H grip and various other bits of electronic kit. Not sure how that would feel. I gather that you still fit the brake levers in the same direction as normal? which would leave the throttle at the end of the bar.
Also Mac, I wonder if bringing the bars closer to me would then put more weight than ideal on my backside?

I`ll try the extender because that will leave my configuration as is and then go on from there if needed. (I can see me landing up with a good selection of bike fittings soon as like you I like things right rather than put up with things that can be bettered)

cheers

Dave

OP
OP
Old timer

Old timer

Über Member
Fitted the stem extender

Fitted the extender today http://www.pbase.com/davechilvers/e-bike

Didn`t want to go out on the ice and snow(6" here) so fitted it at the highest and will work down from there if need be. Part is well made and engineered. I was a bit worried about there only being a single bolt at the base where it fixes to the riser but it is rock solid with no side, back or forth movement. Rather than the single bottom fixing being a clamp type it actually relys on two round solid ali pieces with cut wedges on them being pulled in towards each other and as the wedge shape comes into contact with the riser it just forces everything into a clamping position. The centre bolt they supply is long enough to reach the spangle nut easily. I would think that if I wanted to lower it slightly I would then transfer the ali rings (at present below the stem clamp) to a new position above the stem clamp.

Anyway, seems all Ok with something like a 3" lift at max so that should be enough.

Top Bottom