Light and Alarm

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

biking_fox

Guru
https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/stingray-a-bicycle-light-alarm-hybrid-security-light#/

on Indiegogo for funding. What do you think?

It's a 300 lumen bike light with integrated accelerometer and gyroscope. After you've remembered to set it, if it detects movement beyond bumps and nudges a 140 db siren goes off, deterring a thief. USB rechargable battery 2-10hrs light running time depending on mode.

No it doesn't replace a decent lock.
It seems an interesting concept, probably more practical than a car alarm, as you're unlikely to continue riding a bike with that amount of alarm going off.

It's only due out next year, so I'll probably watch rather than commit myself. I'm not a fan of plastic bodied bike parts, they only seem to last a few months of daily use. At least the price bracket is reasonable for that sort of light. I'd want to know how long the alarm batteries will last when I've ridden it for a few hours. And probably needs some warning stickers otherwise it's only helpful after the event.

RoubaixCube

~Tribanese~
my first opinion is if your bike has been stolen 3 times then youre probably doing something wrong...

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
If people don't care about car and house alarms going off they will be even less bothered about a bike.
It wont stop a determined thief, if confronted a thief will probably say that it's his bike and he doesn't know how to turn off. Not that anyone would probably confront them of course.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
It looks like £60 for a naff CREE torch with a deeply nasty strobe option merged with a £5 bike alarm, using a built-in battery, so three years tops and it'll be junk, if not sooner as you can't use an intelligent charger, plus it means you'll probably want to keep taking it off the bike to charge, so I hope that QR mechanism is robust...

I'm out. I'll stick with my dynamo lighting and £10 alarmed cable (as well as the usual hefty D-lock).

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
If people don't care about car and house alarms going off they will be even less bothered about a bike.
It wont stop a determined thief, if confronted a thief will probably say that it's his bike and he doesn't know how to turn off. Not that anyone would probably confront them of course.
Indeed. No-one's confronted me about my bike alarm going off when I fluff it... but it is deeply unpleasant to be too close to, so will probably stop the casual thief, plus people do look, so maybe there's more chance of someone being able to describe a thief afterwards.

BlackPanther

Hyper-Fast Recumbent Riding Member.
Stingray 2 specifications.

After 30 seconds of the alarm being triggered, the lithium battery explodes with the force of a small hand grenade, the blast being focused directly towards the thiefs head/torso, leaving your bike completely undamaged.

Top Bottom