light question

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Does anyone know for sure what color leds that can be used while riding at nightg
White to the front, red to the rear, legally. Road Vehicles Lighting Regulations 1989 as amended.

In practice, you'll also get away with those very pale green, yellow or blue to the front. The main ways to get in trouble with colour are showing flashing blues or greens (reserved to emergency and medical vehicles) or showing red to the front, but even that relies on police seeing you and having time to tell you off, which seems less likely now than sometimes.

OP
OP
brise

brise

White to the front, red to the rear, legally. Road Vehicles Lighting Regulations 1989 as amended.

In practice, you'll also get away with those very pale green, yellow or blue to the front. The main ways to get in trouble with colour are showing flashing blues or greens (reserved to emergency and medical vehicles) or showing red to the front, but even that relies on police seeing you and having time to tell you off, which seems less likely now than sometimes.
what do you mean by "in practice...."

mjr

yes like central texas
All bets are off, then. I expect it's still white front red back but you'll need tocheck local laws to see if any other colours are allowed, as US laws are different: US cars used to be allowed yellow headlights and flashing red turn signals. Maybe search for the League of American Wheelmen if they're still going?

OP
OP
brise

brise

All bets are off, then. I expect it's still white front red back but you'll need tocheck local laws to see if any other colours are allowed, as US laws are different: US cars used to be allowed yellow headlights and flashing red turn signals. Maybe search for the League of American Wheelmen if they're still going?

this is what i found.....https://bicycleaustin.info/laws/tx-bike.html but i still dont clearly understand if i can use other colors for other places

FishFright

More wheels than sense

In practice a tiny weeny bit of thought why showing a red line at the front is such a stupid idea that they didn't even bother to legislate for it.

mjr

this is what i found.....https://bicycleaustin.info/laws/tx-bike.html but i still dont clearly understand if i can use other colors for other places
https://codes.findlaw.com/tx/transportation-code/transp-sect-547-305.html seems to have most of the restrictions (and you can click the heading to browse the rest of the code) but several only apply to motor vehicles. What are you thinking of doing?

I guess if it's not outlawed then you can do it but you might attract police attention even if they can't ticket you for it.

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
From the brief searching that I have done, all bicyclists must operate under Texas Motor Vehicle Laws while on public roadways, including displaying appropriate illumination at night so I guess you're stuck with whatever cars are allowed in the way of lamp colours.

Probably best to check with a local bike organisation or forum or, better still, ask your local police.

What setup do you have in mind?

OP
OP
brise

brise

If your main aim is to see and be seen, I imagine white or yellow at the front and red at the back is legal in most places.
the officer didnt know for sure either way. i am using limegreen inthe front and red in the back
my bike looks like a ufo at night

Top Bottom