light recommendations

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PpPete

Legendary Member
A video of a Supernova E3 Pro in action ... another evil bicycle light :smile:
Andrew

Nice one !
Very concentrated beam isnt it?
Think I prefer my Philips Saferide Dynamo - much wider beam, so you can see the edges of the road better, which somehow seems very re-assuring.
For the high speed descending stuff I back it up with a 1000 Lumen XML-T6 torch which can put a usable amount of light on the road 50 - 70 mtrs ahead.

Nice one !
Very concentrated beam isnt it?.

Yes and bright by the looks. Very impressive for a dynamo light.

Andrew

Scilly Suffolk

Über Member
Actually what I said was "As far as I am concerned if I cannot see by them then I cannot be seen." and hence yes it surly is true.

"As far as I am concerned the Earth is flat/day is night/gravity doesn't exist etc. etc."; so no it surely isn't true.

Yep they are torches but powerful? That is not a term I would use today to describe them; after my ones are or rather where only 180 lumens each. Are cyclists using them and more modern torches as effective bike lights? From what I have seen and read, yep they are.

Just because a lot of people do something, it doesn't necessarily follow that it is a good idea.

I will have to bow to your expertise on the outback as haven't never riden there, net alone at night but last time I checked even places like Australia have "densely populated urban environments" and surprise surprise those torches worked fine in that environment. Funny how a little care in alignment can make them very functional.

I thought that someone calling themselves "Aushiker" and sub-titling their blog "bicycling & bushwalking in Western Australia" would be an extra-urban type. Apologies if the term "outback" means something else.

I have no doubt that they do work well in built-up environments, but my concern is with their effect on other road users (not to mention that they are quite unnecessary there).

No doubt you could apply your "argument" to numerous "bicycle" lights such as my replacement DiNottee 400L, AyUps, Magicshine and the list goes on. All of which appear to work well in urban environments when used appropriately given again my own experience and what others have reported and I have seen.

No I couldn't, because my argument is that torches, not bike lights, are unsuitable.

For what it is worth I also use a Busch & Mueller Lumotec ICQ Cyo which also is perfectly okay if aligned correctly and no it is not the version that complies with German road rules.

That and the white hot heat of your searing sarcasm should see you in good stead then.

Regards
Andrew

PpPete

Legendary Member
Before aushiker & scilly suffolk tear each others throats out...
Torches.... some have have tight directed beams, some have lots of "overspill" Some cheaper powerful bike lights (intended for MTB use) are blinding to oncoming traffic. There is no hard & fast "rule" - or need to take up dogmatic positions.

orches.... some have have tight directed beams, some have lots of "overspill" Some cheaper powerful bike lights (intended for MTB use) are blinding to oncoming traffic.

I think your point about intended for MTB use is a good one ... these types of lights are frequently used on the road and hence need to be appropriately aimed. My DiNottee lights fit into this category for example.

Regards
Andrew

On a negative note, I'd avoid Knog. Often a trendy looking design but poor functional design. I amassed 3 before I gave up on them - 2 of the more expensive ones (front and back) have really poorly designed on and off switches which very easily get pressed when in a bag - goodbye batteries.

Jenkins

Legendary Member
If your budget is £50-£60 why not get a couple of these Smart light sets from Planet X for a total of £32 delivered. Plenty of "to be seen" light up front and may provide a bit of "to see with" light as well. Two rear lights then allows one steady mounted on the seat post and one flashing mounted on the seat stay so you can be seen from behind (works well on my Triban).

OP
OP
W

wealthysoup

Ordered the smart lunar 35 lux front and rear light set from amazon. Will update this thread when I receive them to let everyone know my opinions

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Anyone using Smart R2's long term.

Want to replace my Smart Superflashes (constant waterlogging), but still want the same brackets for swapability.

I've got Blackburn 3.0 and 4.0 which are great, but my son has snaffled the 3.0. The other option is just to buy another 4.0 ?

Top Bottom