light recommendations

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

wealthysoup

I got a cheapie front and rear light set when I got my triban 3 but as with many cheap things they simply decide to stop working.
Now I'm looking to replace it with a decent light set, this would be used almost solely in areas with streetlights and only once or twice a week, although I would want them to be on the bike all the time.

I'd rather spend no more than 50-60 pound on both and would prefer if they took aa batteries though that's not essential.

I've been looking at a niterider mako for the front light but reviews on Amazon suggest that the bracket isn't great.

What lights would you recommend? I'm not bothered with a flashing front light but the rear lights would preferably have a flashing pattern

Thanks,

Ryan

Scilly Suffolk

Über Member
If you only need lights to be seen by, rather than to see by, then £60 is far more than you need to spend.

Have a look at this blog, he knows his stuff, both lights and batteries.

I bought these lights from him off eBay: ridiculously bright for their size, attention grabbing emergency services style flashing pattern and for a fiver, you're not fussed if they get nicked (although they are so small and easy to remove that you can put them in your pocket).

Other than that, something like these or whatever Halfords or your bike shop have will be fine.

To make them more weather resistant you can smear Vaseline around the seal and/or tape the joint.

Berties

Fast and careful!
I have a Moon xp 500,ask the question be seen or want to see ,this will see every thing:smile:

musa

Über Member
I'm using Cree lights ATM. Very bright. China and co seem to play in their factories. Cheap there but if you can be patient with delivery then order a few. Bestofferbuy.com or dealextreme.com I think

I guess I value my life to much to play around with "cheap so called be seen lights." As far as I am concerned if I cannot see by them then I cannot be seen. For the £ you want to spend I would be looking at decent bright torches with a bike mount. Something along the lines of the Fenix L2D or similar offers from DealExtreme.com and the like.

IMG_0207.png

Andrew

Scilly Suffolk

Über Member
...if I cannot see by them then I cannot be seen...
That's clearly not true is it?

The lights that you use are very powerful torches, not very powerful bike lights (designed with other road users in mind).

Although I dare say they are superb for picking your way through the sparsely populated outback, using powerful torches with undirected beams and huge amounts of overspill in densely populated urban environments isn't the smartest thing to do.

Sometimes, less is more.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Although not a personal recommendation of mine a lot of people rave about hope vision 1 front light, it runs on AA batteries and is powerful enough for unlit stretches.
On the rear i use the smart R2 , when i showed a guy at work he turned away from the light !.I use this in conjuction with some standard flashers on each panniers to give a triangular light shape which seems to make drivers give me plenty of room.

PpPete

Legendary Member
AA batteries ... The Hope 1 is good but is a bit pricy. Given that OP is only riding in streetlit area I'd go for a Smart 35 Lux on the front.
Li-ion battery powered lights seem give you more "bang for the buck" but probably mostly overkill.
At the back - there are AA powered lights, but tend to be big and bulky. Far better to have 2 AAA lights (Smart 1/2 Watts are fine).

Leaving the lights on the bike all the time ? Not with battery powered lights - they get knicked.

Edit:
Could get two of these sets for the OPs budget!

That's clearly not true is it?

Actually what I said was "As far as I am concerned if I cannot see by them then I cannot be seen." and hence yes it surly is true.

The lights that you use are very powerful torches, not very powerful bike lights (designed with other road users in mind).

Yep they are torches but powerful? That is not a term I would use today to describe them; after my ones are or rather where only 180 lumens each. Are cyclists using them and more modern torches as effective bike lights? From what I have seen and read, yep they are.

Although I dare say they are superb for picking your way through the sparsely populated outback, using powerful torches with undirected beams and huge amounts of overspill in densely populated urban environments isn't the smartest thing to do.

I will have to bow to your expertise on the outback as haven't never riden there, net alone at night but last time I checked even places like Australia have "densely populated urban environments" and surprise surprise those torches worked fine in that environment. Funny how a little care in alignment can make them very functional.

No doubt you could apply your "argument" to numerous "bicycle" lights such as my replacement DiNottee 400L, AyUps, Magicshine and the list goes on. All of which appear to work well in urban environments when used appropriately given again my own experience and what others have reported and I have seen.

For what it is worth I also use a Busch & Mueller Lumotec ICQ Cyo which also is perfectly okay if aligned correctly and no it is not the version that complies with German road rules.

Regards
Andrew

Top Bottom